Sarah asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

I am writing a story. The Mum is Marchioness of Lothian and the son's wife would be Countess of Lothian. I want to know if this is correct?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it sounds okay to me

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Cara
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't risk it, or you may find yourself involved in a law suit. You should realise that there is a real Marquess of Lothian. Always check that sort of thing. A friend of mine wrote a book that included a character with a grand title and discovered too late that there really was a person with such a title. She had to publish a disclaimer.

• 2 months ago

No.  In all likelihood, the Mom is marred to the Marquis of Lothian, so, the son (IF he was the eldest) would be the heir.  During Dad's lifetime, he may use one of his father's lesser titles (if he had one), like Earl, or Baron.  The son's wife would use her husband's title as a courtesy.  Second, or other sons would have no titles at all, and neither would their wives.  She might be called "Lady Name," but, that's about it.

HOWEVER, if the Mom is the actual Marchioness (rare, but possible), then her son would be nothing, as it is exceedingly rare for a title to pass on through a female.  For this to happen, the letters patent would have to specifically say it, and this almost never happened.  So, the son would be a Mister, and his wife a Mrs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.