I have a torn tendon in the outer side of my left wrist how should I take care of it till I get surgery ?

• Tavy

A wrist support and painkillers.

• y

Has it already been diagnosed as needing surgery?  Not all tears need it/get it.

Basic steps for these things, rest, ice, support and stabilize with those stretchy things(blanking on the name). That wrap or slide over the injured area. Ibuprofen for the inflammation and such.

when possible, avoid the use of the left arm/hand.. the main thing is complete rest.. often the tear is partial, by using the hand, you may convert a partial tear into a complete tear, and obviously a partial tear is better than a complete tear..

maintain a healthy diet: meat, fish, milk, fruits and vegetables, you will need the energy now for the healing process after the surgery..

doctors may prescribe NSAIDs pain killers which has 2 functions: reduce pain and reduce swelling, and eventhough NSAIDs do not cause addiction and dependence, like opioid pain killers, NSAIDs are known to cause troubled stomach and even ulcers.. so make sure you take those NSAIDs (if given) after meals and not on an empty stomach.. also, inform the doctor if you start to have stomach troubles..

if there is an open wound over the torn tendon, the treating surgeon may delay the surgery until the wound is clean with no signs of infections -- make sure the bandages are clean and does not come in contact with water..

the surgeon may recommend some simple exercises, but it is ONLY when he/she suspect adhesions (it is when the healing process produces glue-like substance that makes the tendon sticky - like pouring glue indiscriminately inside a robotic arm reducing the movement of the arm significantly..)..

just follow the doctors' orders..

Is there anything I can do to ease the pain