Reason for slow start?

Jeep Liberty 2008 4x4. I went about 4,700 miles without an oil change due to this virus closing most places down. My car started taking a few tries to start after I added oil to top it off to the right levels but it was thicker. So not good for this snow in Utah. I went and got my oil changed yesterday. They used the correct oil, but could it be there is still thicker oil inside? It just needs to kinda clear out? And that’s why it’s slow starting? Or what do you think? My reverse also went out (something broke inside the transmission that makes reverse act as neutral) this was all the same day. Reverse going out came first.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You need a new battery.  Solved. Reverse is an adjustment on the transmission linkage that is all.  Or your Jeep did not come with REVERSE.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Oh no you didn’t change your oil at 3000 miles . Your car is shot and you will die! 

• M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not sure what you mean by "slow starting".  

Is your starter turning slower?  That would likely be a battery problem, or possibly a starter problem.

Snow won't affect the battery but the cold temperature reduces the battery capacity.  So maybe your old battery plus cold temperature is the problem 

If you mean that more time cranking the starter is requires, then your fuel supply may be affected.  Fuel pump.  Fuel pressure regulator.  Et cetera.

• 2 months ago

There can't be enough of the other thicker oil left in the engine after you drain it to make any difference. Most transmission problems are low fluid level. Like one to three+ quarts too low. You have to check the tranny fluid level when the engine is hot and running.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Oil interval has nothing to do with it

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Get the battery checked.  Check for a bad shifter cable first.

• 2 months ago

Slow starting is due to a battery with a low charge or bad cable connections. That leads to over heating and ruining the starter.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 2 months ago

If you are using synthetic oil, 4700 miles is fine.  

There may be a bit of thick oil left from before the change, but so little that you would never ever notice it.

Your starting and transmission problems both lie elsewhere.

• 2 months ago

It appears as though your transmission is shot.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.