OMG! I just got accepted to CalState Long Beach but I have no money, how do I finance this education?

I opened my email and it asked me to check my status. For whatever reason I thought they wouldn't accept me but I got the confirmation on the application status page that I got in!!!!

I just don't know how to pay for the tuition with zero college funds and minimal help from my mom.

I would be the first in my family to go to college (2nd generation Latina). All of these college expenses concerns me. 

CalState Long Beach admitted only 28% of applications last year and the average GPA to get in is now a 3.54. I do not want to lose my seat as it is hard to get in and there is no admission deferral.

• cool

Don't go. 

A GPA of 3.54 is not any indicator of academic rigour, it depends on the degree and the style of assessment.Even if they only admitted 28% of applications, that does not mean that they are selective. Some universities deliberately invite average students to apply, only so that they can reject them. I linked an article about this in the source below.

These are the kinds of tactics which they are using in order to deceive parents and students.

Personally, I recommend you read this blog, it's published by a retired IBM engineer who is sceptical of the 'go to college' hype.

http://www.iscollegereallytherightchoice.com/about...

It's a trap.  Don't fall into it.  You'd be much better off without college.  Be the one who founded the university not the unsuspecting victim who attends.  Those are the people who make the real money...

Of course you will work. You can start part-time after school (once this covid-19 comes under control), full-time over summer, and save it all up. 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk while attending school, full-time over holidays & summers. Join the crowd.

You can apply for financial aid if you & your parents are US citizens or legal permanent residents.

Where's your father? What provisions were made in the divorce settlement, which should have included a court order of custody, child support & visitation. Many child support orders these days do include provisions for both parents to contribute to their child's higher education.

Any other relatives who tend to give you birthday, Christmas, or other such presents from time to time? Ask any of them who might be considering giving you any graduation, birthday, or holiday gifts to consider giving money for your college fund in lieu of buying some other sort of gift. It might not add up to much but can certainly help with textbooks and such.

Student loans.  Scholarships.  Part time job (I have mixed feelings on the latter as it can be tough in some courses especially when you add working on top of that). 

You may be able to get a reduction depending on your family's income.  Not to be rude but this is something you should have thought about when you applied to any college: how you were going to pay for it.

• drip

You did fill out your FAFSA form didn’t you?  Did you receive your financial aid package as yet? Did you apply for the Pell Grant?

You got to wait to see what your Grants and financial aid package gives you first.  Apply for the work studies program too. 

Didn't you fill out and submit a FAFSA form when you submitted your application? If so, you'll receive a financial aid offer shortly. If it's not sufficient, contact the financial aid office and ask how to proceed.

If you didn't submit a FAFSA form, do so -- immediately!

Your parents have to fill out a FAFSA form and submit it.  Based on your family's income, you may be entitled to various loans or reduced fees.  Most people do that before they submit their application, but you need to look into that ASAP.

• Eva

If you haven't already done so, fill out your FAFSA application to see what kind of financial aid package they will offer you. Then get a job.

suggest you get a job in any area of medical care and work for a year. college will still be there in the fall of '21 and then you can maybe afford to go -- at least part time.

• Barry

The college should have a hardship fund. Make enquiries.