Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Do you believe Trump is a racist for calling the coronavirus the "Chinese" virus?

I do not think so at all. How can it be a racist, since the virus originated there? I mean Trump has to say where it came from, and has to be accurate about it.

I mean, when the Spanish flu happened, nobody is called it racist then.And Trump is the very first world leader to ban international travel, in order to stop the spread of it, and then all other world leaders followed suit.

So how is this man racist for stopping international travel, to stop the spread of it, and for simply calling the coronavirus virus by the name of the country it originated in?

I mean it seems to me people are getting too sensitive. It seems people are so sensitive, you cannot even speak the truth, without someone crying like a little girl, and then throwing a tantrum. 

What happened to the motto: "Sticks and stones make break my bones, but names will never hurt me."?

And yes the truth might now always be flattering, but truth is truth, no matter how offensive it might be. And when you speak it, no matter how eloquently, and if the other person gets offended, well that's their problem, not yours.

I'm not trolling, as some claim. I'm really just asking a legitimate question, and giving my viewpoint on the subject. That's all!

It just seems ridiculous that people are picking apart words, when we have serious world epidemic happening. It just feels people could put that energy of picking part words toward something more constructive.

And one final thing, toward the people who have insulted me with name calling and alike, not that I do not stand by what I said about that old motto and whatnot, but my point is:

"I take that these people are on the Left. Well, I have always heard that Liberals believe in civility and the right to having one's own opinion, and that we can have a civil debate, and agree to disagree if that be so. 

... Well, if that is what you truly do believe, then how does name calling and insults fit into that equation?"

Whether it's racist or not is a red herring.  I don't expect the President to understand, but it's harmful to use this phrasing because it slightly poisons people's thoughts to Chinese people and all things Chinese.  In that sense, it encourages racissm.  There have been scattered incidents in various places.  Scientists and just about every other public official I've heard has not bothered to tack the two-syllable adjective "Chinese" onto "Coronavirus," and there is no ambiguity as to what they are referring to.  "COVID-19" has even less syllables.  It has to be a willful choice to say "Chinese."

Yes I think the guy was using the phrasing from Spanish Flu. We should unite now and not pick at anyone help your neighbour.

I'd say come on you know.

He is our president.

He's has come, welcome him, 

with all the praise and everything.

Give him lots of love.

He's smart, funny, and he has everything.

He is racist, but more than that he is a businessman and an opportunist. He was actually praising China for the first 2 months of the crisis, and then when it hit the US, and he was caught unprepared, he started making nasty comments to shift the blame to China to get the projectors off his back, because people were blaming him for handling everything horribly. The source of the virus is still unknown, it might have actually originated in the US. The Spanish flu actually originated in Kansas, yet people didn't call it the American flu. The H1N1 also originated in America, and people don't call it the American virus. HIV also started in America, and nobody calls it the American disease.

• me2 months agoReport

Yes all politicians are showing their core values and those that don't have any are quiet.

• Zirp

questions about the answerer are not allowed here

I don;t think he is being racist as much as he is setting up blame on another country when his record on employment/economy tanks.

• me2 months agoReport

American people should love n improve their country and not expect leaders to. Its got a complex past but everyone contributed to its success. Its sparse population and small towns need inspired entrepreneurs.

There is no doubt that Trump is racist since he purposely labeled the virus to incite hate.

" Although the Spanish Flu's exact point of origination has been hotly debated, some contend it all began in Haskell County, Kansas. There's a long-held theory that Camp Funston, a U.S. Army base, was home to the first confirmed outbreak on March 11, 1918."

....As you should know, words do lead to violence by the racists and bigots of the world.

...The truth is that this virus has changed the world as we have known it. Hopefully the global efforts to develop a vaccine will save many. Unfortunately they don't anticipate that it will happen for as far away as one year.

....We are ONE humanity. We rely on other countries for goods and food. Let us pray that we change our negative interactions to good ones after this is over.

The Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain, nitwit...

In which case, you should have no problem calling Fat Donnie Putin's Agent, as that's why he's squatting in the White House....

• Bee V3

I dislike Trump but I don't think that was racist at all. If it came from China, that makes it Chinese. Right?