Mmedvin asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Was hugging a immigrant from China in February a little reckless with the coronavirus concern?  ?

So, Italy passed the 10,000 deaths recently, and looking to find out why, I managed to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs

Youtube thumbnail

Apparently, the mayor of Florence Italy had a day dedicated to hugging Chinese people to show that you were not a racist.  Looking back, was this kind of dumb?  

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It's easy to criticize a decision when looking back in hindsight. What good is it though? Yes, now that we know how infectious the virus is it probably was a mistake. Did they have the benefit of that knowledge back then? Probably not! A couple of reasons for the high mortality rate in Italy are the fact that 23% of their 60 million-plus population is over 65. The other thing is that the percentage of people over the age of 15 that smoke tobacco is around 23%. Those two things are working against the people of Italy.

In any event, it was the Mayor of Florence that announced the campaign and the event wasn't nationwide. I'm sure he meant well.

• Jenny
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

No, sometimes things are obviously stupid in the moment and many pointed that out at the time.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Jenny
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It was unbelievably stupid.  Hugging any stranger now is beyond stupid and they had no idea of the travel history.

I abhor just shaking a stranger's hand.  It's an archaic practice that needs to be abolished.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.