Is it true that you are not allowed fo breastfeed your baby when it is hungry (only according to a timetable, at certain hours) in Norway?

I heard from someone that there is a law in Norway that says something like.... you have to breastfeed your baby according to a certain daily timetable (not when the baby is hungry). And also, if the baby is hungry, and this said hour has not come, you are not allowed to breastfeed the baby. Apparently some nurse checks if you do this correctly.

I told this person that this would be absurd, but I wanted to check, so I asked here.

• L

FAKE NEWS!  Mothers, world wide, breast feed their baby when they are hungry.

• GB

This is most likely to be practiced in maternity wards where babies are routinely separated from their mothers, and only brought to them at feeding times. It might be the 'rule' in certain hospital, but is not a national law in any country. The rule comes about because it makes it more convenient for staff to take the babies to the moms at set times. From what I have seen of American drama  set in the 1990s to present day - separating mothers and newborns is still common practice in the USA., though it could be the script writers are out-of-date.

• GB

Glad to hear it, Pippin. So it's script writers who portray an out-of-date image of the U.S.

• Edna

It's completely absurd to believe such a thing - in Norway or anywhere else.

• Pippin

So ... what ... they have cameras in every room in every house, monitoring how often is baby is fed?  And the nurses who are overwhelmed with the current pandemic are monitoring those cameras and counting feeds?

Right?  (And why Norway?  If you're going to claim this is a law, surely you would choose a fascist, far right wing country ... )

I'm calling BS, another urban legend.

• alan P

Some medical staff might recommend this approach but I can't believe it is the law anywhere.  To me it is an cruel and outdated way to treat a baby.

You heard wrong,Skippy.

There is no law on this...