I'm not saying that people never landed on the moon, but how is the belief that people never landed on the moon harmful?

The purpose of the hoax is to destroy people's confidence in the institutions of the country, and in science in general. President Carter was already warning everyone about that, a long time ago.

Even today, there are people dumb enough to believe the insinuation behind questions such as "did NASA prefer professional liars?"

Once people lose confidence in real scientific institutions, it becomes easy to make them believe in outright conspiracy lies.

THAT is the harm.

And it seems to be intentional.

Yeah, right!  What's wrong with living in la la land?  I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

It is not that it is actually harmfull

But for the likes of me that takes Space and Astronomy serious enough it sticks in my craw

I am now 60 and remember watching it on TV

I was 9 when it was all happening and it kindled my Lifetime interest in the Cosmos, these people insult my intelligence

Along with Flat earthers

There are even Holocaust deniers, and we will never find out the truth of why JFK got blown way

Ones that say 9/11 was and inside job and now even that the Coronavirus was made in the Lab

Where do these people get themselves off ???

Source(s): Auswich Gas Chamber, makes you think eh ??
  • Jim

I watched it happen, so I have direct memory of the landing using a high powered telescope. So it's hard for me to watch people who don't have this memory to question it.

But this questioning is natural when you haven't witnessed yourself.

• Keith A

You have been conned by the producers of the pic!  Ha1 Ha!

• Acetek

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever

• John

You don't "believe" in science. You are either educated or you are not.

Wilful ignorance invariably damages society eventually .

It disregards major accomplishments and the hard work of not only Americans but the human race. Being able to land humans on the moon means it may be possible to land on other objects in space and one day explore the Universe. But if you're saying it was faked then that means travel exploration is impossible.

I once heard Astronaut Buzz Aldrin describe how he might give such a person a very bloody nose for proposing that his Moon landing mission was a lie and was faked. 

Getting a bloody nose might be considered "harmful", I believe. 

• Tom S

He did, go Buzz! ....  https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/astronaut-buzz-aldrin-punches-moon-landing-denier

Easy. There are, have been, and will be all kinds of political, engineering, and scientific decisions made on the belief that we did moon land and we did discover valuable information while making those landings.

If the decision makers believed that we did not land on the moon decisions about future space activities would be faulty. That would adversely harm our technological advances towards future space exploration. And someday, it might come to pass that we'll have to go into space for survival purposes.

• Keith A

Perhaps, of course, it might be better if our species did not survive.