Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

What would be a big scientific breakthrough in astronomy, figuring out how to travel with lightspeed theory?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It's established that that's impossible unless negative mass can exist.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

That has nothing to do with astronomy. It is a problem in physics and propulsion. There is no evidence to suggest that such a breakthrough is possible.

• 2 months ago

It is impossible to travel at the speed of light or faster. So it is not a matter of figuring out how to do it. We already know it is not possible. 

• 2 months ago

A big breakthrough for astronomy would be to solve the problem that "dark matter" was invented to solve.  The problem is that faraway galaxies appear to be rotating "too" fast -- their outer stars should fly away because the gravity isn't enough to hold them.  It was therefore postulated that the galaxies contain some unseen matter that accounts for the "missing" gravitational attraction.  But nobody can figure out what the "dark matter" is or why it is not seen at any wavelength, etc.

Some alternate theories have been proposed by Mordehai Milgrom and Erik VerLinde, theories that make a slight modification to Newtonian dynamics in the realm where centripetal accelerations are very, very small.

Both of the above theories ("dark matter" and "modified Newtonian dynamics") make some accurate astronomical predictions -- and some inaccurate ones.  To reconcile these approaches, or to find a new approach that makes only accurate predictions, would be a big breakthrough in astronomy.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Not so big for Astronomy.  Tourism, though...

• 2 months ago

NOTHING can travel AT the speed of light in a vacuum because the mass of an object would become infinite. Warp or FTL drive means traveling FASTER than the speed of light in a vacuum, not AT the speed of light in a vacuum. Alcubierre solved the math, but building a warp of FTL drive and inertial dampeners, so human beings will not get smashed into protoplasmic goo with shattered bones when a ship goes from warp speed to sunlight speed is currently beyond our technology. Ourunderstanding of the laws of physics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics break down. Dilithium is fictional. So are stargates. 

The original warp drive formula from Star Trek the original series which was modified and changed in Star Trek the next generation was 

v^1/3 = 2c^1/3 

Star Trek science was based on TEAL science, not total fiction.  How long has it been it have you ever used a 3.5 inch floppy drive or a zip drive? That is now outdated technology. Those if us who are Original Old School Trekkies from 1966 to 1969 are now retirement age. We are not ignorant. We understand the difference between deity and fiction, fantasy and make believe. Not all of us are closed minded, bitter, angry, and totally pessimistic. Our imaginations still have not completely died, yet. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive.  

Source(s): Star Trek technical manuals, "The Science of Star Trek"
    • ...Show all comments
    • CarolOkla
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

My point is you were alive that long ago my masters thesis is on zip drives, I have saved my hard drives and will be saving the hard drives on the PC I hopefully will still be,alive to replace if I don't have to declare bankruptcy. Not all if us are that prescient to save old technology. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.