What, Riding motorcycles aren't as dangerous as everyone says?

Riding a motorcycle is not dangerous, it's other idiots on the road that make it dangerous 80% of the time.

The other 20% is due to inexperienced riders or overconfident riders riding beyond their ability. 

• Tim D

The number of Single Vehicle Accidents involving motorcycles and other PTWs will tell you otherwise

I rode for 45 years, but decided to hang it up because I was riding to work at night, and too many deer!

• anon99

Many countries have don surveys on Motorcycles 87% of all Crashes with multi-wheeled vehicles is the cause of the Other vehicle the words I never saw him

the Truth I never looked 5% is road conditions and about 8% bad Riding

Idiots on Bikes are the ones that make the Rest of us look bad My last Crash was in 1962 and a Hole in the Road caused me to crash into the Gutter bending my forks some 30 years ago i complained to the council it was fixed the next day the Road

Most people who call motorcycles dangerous never laid a hand on one. Some who say that suffered a crash. All the rest are enjoying riding, like I did for 20 years.

• adam

dangerous. Not in and of itself. Its the cage drivers . Road conditions. Rider inexperience. There is risk involved. If your scared go to church.

Count the survivors of the two B737 Max crashes: Zero. Fatality rate 100 percent--total, all, everyone, no survivors, hundreds dead. No two motorcycle accidents in history have ever killed hundreds of people. Motorcycles are, therefore, safe. Why is this so obvious, but only to me?

Of course they are dangerous and anyone who tells you different does not ride or are fooling themselves. No matter what the cause the facts are it is dangerous. The thing is that if you do have an accident on a motorcycle your chances of getting killed or seriously injured are far greater on a motorcycle than in a car or truck. U.S. government data shows that for every mile traveled, the number of motorcycle-related deaths was 26 times the number of car-related deaths. Facts do not lie.  

• KY-Clay

I have ran over 130 on a bike but now I am a little older and much wiser. I ride defensively but I am smart enough to know it is dangerous. 

• Tim D

After only 45 years riding I would say that it doesn't appear to be as dangerous as everyone says.

• martin

As one biker put it, "There are only 2 kinds of motorcycle riders: those who've had an accident, and those who haven't had their accident yet."

The act of riding a motorcycle isn't dangerous but the environments in which it typically is done can be very dangerous. A poor road surface with loose gravel can cause a bike to lose traction with the rider going down. Bikes are smaller than cars and many drivers tend to not see them resulting in a crash. Drivers can also misjudge the distance between themselves and the bike resulting in a rear end collision with the bike. 

• adam

waling across the street is dangerous. living in the wrong hood is dangerous so what