Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Scales hardly moving with strength training?

Hello. I have been doing workouts at between 45 minutes and 1 hour with dumbells of various weights at home for about  9 weeks now - I also do cycling of about 3 - 5 hour a week--I have only lost 9 pounds in 9 weeks - I have also cut out processed foods and reduced sugar and my portions. I noticed that when I didn't strength train for 2 weeks I lost more weight on the scales with only bike riding. I am one of these people who is obsessed with what I weigh - I can see inches come off but because I weigh quite a bit I don't feel like i'm making progress - I am only small and have a specific weight in mind and lifting dumbells seems to stop me getting to that weight ---how can I stop feeling like it isn't working because im not losing weight - I don't want to measure inches as I don't know what I was when I started ----I also can see the muscle toning but the fat layer on top of it doesn't seem to shift...feel like quitting the dumbells and only doing cycling to get to my desired weight - then do dumbells to tone?

I do about 3 to 5 strength training sessions a week

• Adam D

9 pounds in 9 weeks is a very reasonable weight loss speed.  Unless you're very overweight, it'd be tough to go much faster.

Strength training prevents you from losing muscle when your calories are restricted.  You're not gaining muscle, it isn't something one easily does, especially while trying to lose weight.

Two things going here.

One, your high level of activity, especially the weight training, is probably making your muscles larger while your fat stores shrink. Muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue of the same volume, so the scale may not move much. This is pretty common.

Two, weight loss is 85% what and how much you eat, 15% activity, so the total caloric intake has to drop by an average of 500 calories a day for you to lose one pound a week.

How you look (and how healthy you are) is not measured by weight but by how much body fat you carry. You can be at the high end of the normal range and look terrific if you have mostly toned muscle. Someone of the same height and weight who's got more fat will look much worse.

Obsessing about your weight and aiming for a particular number is usually not a great idea.