Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

I’m 25 and I’m horrible shape. Should I even bother losing weight and getting Fit or just save myself from being embarrassed?

I can’t even run a mile and I can’t even do 5 burpees. I bet athletic people would laugh at me.

You will be surprised at the progress you will make once you get started exercising.  Everyone has to start at the beginning.  The hardest thing is to just start.

Should isn't part of this.  Do or don't.  If you are miserable and at increased risk of serious medical issues like arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. it seems like you would benefit by getting a grip and taking steps to improve your health and fitness.  If you're rather have a pity party, that's certainly your right to do so. 

Weight loss and maintenance is 80% diet. You have to learn what and how much to eat so you have fuel your body and allow it to be in an healthy BMI range.

Fitness takes time. Don't do a burpee - yet.  There are dozens of online workouts you can follow or just take a walk (with social distancing).  If today you can trot in place for 20 seconds, that's fine.  Tomorrow maybe you can do 25 or a several rounds of 20 seconds with a rest in-between.  In a month you could be rocking a serious 30-minute HIIT program.  

Are you on lockdown? There are thousands of youtube videos full of exercise routines you can do at home. Pilates work, any treadmill or walking or biking works.

Pardon my language, but screw what other people think of you struggling to get more fit.

I know there's a period in one's life when the opinions of others really matter, and you're still in it. What's cool is that it ends.

You should get fitter and lose excess weight because that's what's good for your health, long-term, and what's good for your self-esteem in the short term.

If you really worry about it, find a place where you can walk-run without seeing other people, especially young people.

And remember that weight loss is 85% what and how much you eat and 15% activity. The fitness and the weight loss are simultaneous aspects of getting healthy.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

If you want to lose weight you have to make sure its for yourself and not other people. If you want it then go and get it, it honestly does not matter what other people think.