Jessica asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Why is it that if you see a wounded injured person you can help BUT not an injured animal? Is it really dangerous to aid wounded animals?

Humans have a wild side too.

So if i see a woumded horse or cat , i have to ignore it?

• *****

An injured human is unlikely to bite you while you are rendering aid. An injured animal will often react aggressively to being handled while in pain. 

But no, you shouldn't just ignore a wounded animal. If you aren't familiar with the proper way to handle a potentially aggressive animal of that species, you should report it to the appropriate authorities in your area (animal control, police, etc.) and wait until they arrive, and/or attempt to locate the animal's owner. 

What are you ranting about, if you know?  I work in animal rescue.  I respond to calls about injured animals on a very regular basis.  I found your use of the word "wounded" to be rather odd.

I'm sure some injured animals are in severe pain and dangerous.  I'm sure some injured animals were dangerous to begin with.  I've actually handled injured skunks.

This is a matter of personal choice.  Most people choose not to ignore an a "woumded" (odd word to choose) animal but to call someone who can assist the animal.

Of course, that's all about your morals and ethics.  Thank your mom and dad for your attitude.  Stick to questions about wrestlers.

No, you should not ignore a wounded animal. Just be careful about a wild animal. Depending on the animal, you should probably call Game & Wildlife for help.

• PR

I have helped injured animals. I have picked up a cat who had been hit by a car, took her to the vet, and she was treated. We also saved a baby bird and our daughter raised it to adulthood. 

It is unlikely you will see an injured horse anywhere, too soon, although horses often get cuts and the owners help by using appropriate medications. 

Some animals may be difficult to treat and a wild animal would not be advisable to handle. Talk to your parents about the reasons they have said this, so you understand. It is true that an animal in pain may bite, so if you see one, call for help.

Really cool story. Not sure if I told it before. Around 1990 in NYC. Hanging out in front of my firehouse with other firefighters. A plainclothes police car comes roaring up. Slams on the brakes and a disheveled cop covered in blood hops out screaming his partner was shot. I grabbed my crashbag and ran back to the car. Rear door open, and a VERY LARGE German Shepard was laying across the seat. A GSW to his hind quarters. Well, I'm no vet but I do love dogs. And I'll try to help anyone/anything. I hopped in and starting applying pressure. The dog promptly chomped down on my right forearm. We rode all the way from the Lower Eastside to South Brooklyn(the emergency animal hospital)with the dog holding(BITING)my forearm. Still carry the scars.

• patty

well u do what u want to do. other people can do what they want to do.