Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Do you prefer John Lennon or Freddie Mercury as a singer?

I remember reading somewhere that scientists analyzed his music and concluded that  Freddie Mercury's voice was indeed one in a million. 

One of a kind. 

Freddie was a better singer than every Beatle, every Mama & Papa, and every Bruce Dickinson and James Hetfield combined.  Lennon wasn't even much of a singer, he was just an incredible song writer.

Freddie was the kind of singer that could do it all and do it well.  He could hit any note in any vocal style, and he could hold it there forever.  He could whisper, scream, growl, croon, belt, and he could go from one to the other without sacrificing power.  There aren't just very few vocalists who can do that, there are almost none.

Dolly is the queen of country.  Robert Halford is the undisputed metal god.  Pavarotti is the maestro of opera.  Sinatra is the reigning king of crooners, and Elvis will always be the king of rock & roll.  And Freddie could out-do any of them.

Personally I think Freddie is the better singer, Freddie could hit notes that Lennon could never hit.

• Zapata

I don't deny that Mercury was an impressive singer, but he was just too theatrical for my taste. I prefer my rock & roll singers to sound a little dirty and unsophisticated, not like some Broadway musical performer. So for me, it's definitely Lennon.

John Lennon by far.

• audrey

Freddie Mercury......

John Lennon for sure, although Mercury is a good singer also.

I prefer Freddie Mercury. He was a far better singer than John Lennon. It's not even close.

• Zapata

But not as a rock singer. Your argument is like saying Luciano Pavarotti was a better singer than Bob Dylan. Well, sure...but you are really missing the point.

I like both very much, but prefer Freddie Mercury. I like his singing voice better and he seems more passionate onstage.

• Zapata

Theatricality does not equal passion.

• Mandy

They are really so not comparable that there is no reason to like one over the other.