I have a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX600. It will not start anymore all of a sudden.?

I have been having problems with what I thought was the battery. I had to carry my tender with me because if I turned it off I had to recharge it to restart it. All of the lights have worked this entire time btw. Now all of a sudden, it will not start. Not a single sound or anything. I tore into it today and checked the fuses and some of the connections and hooked a battery charger up to it. Now upon trying to start it, it just buzzes at me...… help.....????

Buy a new battery......

#1  take your battery into a place that deals in motorcycle batteries. Have them test it and/or charge it. The battery must have at least 13 volts charge.  #2 If the battery is o.k., but runs down when you ride it for a couple hours, it may have another problem in the charging system. In that case, take the bike to a good mechanic or dealer. 

Kimberly, Kimberly, Kimberly. A motorcycle trickle charger no way no how has enough amperage (current) capacity to start anything. Or does your "battery charger" have a "start" position on a selector switch? Then maybe... but I wouldn't do it that way. You run the risk of overcurrenting (burning out) stuff.

Why didn't you measure THE RESTING VOLTAGE OF THE BATTERY? Like babe, there are TWO terminals on a battery and TWO test leads on a voltmeter. Can you figure out how to hook up a voltmeter? Here's a test: take two fingers from your left hand and touch them to two fingers of your right hand. Take as much time as you need. If you can't do it, sell the bike.

A battery charger ain't a diagnostic tool... whereas a dmm (digital multimeter) or an analog vom (volt-ohm-milliammeter), are.  No clicks from the starter relay or the starter solenoid? Trace the voltages from the battery through the starting circuits with your diagnostic tool. Could be a lotta stuff, like the starter button, the starter relay, corrosion you can't see in the cable end terminals, worn out starter brushes, worn / shorted rotor, starter bearings whut dun need to be lubed and / or replaced, bad bendix drive, broken teeth on the flywheel. It's mostly just unbolting stuff and eyeballing it. Another hint: the idea is to FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG BEFORE YOU BUY PARTS. It is a complex concept. Or, just go buy stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkn9NoNVjlQ

Youtube thumbnail

&list=FL08cPDvhD5CMTfZ4-hqXK2w&index=6&t=52s 

• adam

you should teach . Seriously!

• adam

It sounds like it has a totally dead battery. Before you can diagnose electric you need a battery that is fully charged. Get a new battery . If it still wont start you have a known good battery and can trace the power through the ignition system

Get a multimeter and check the open circuit voltage(voltage with key out of ignition).  Charge battery with a real charger to 12.6V.  With a charged battery, check the voltage when you are trying to start.  If battery voltage drops below 9.5V when you are trying to start, battery is dead.  If the battery will not charge to 12.4V-12.6V, battery is dead.

• Exoplanet

Depends on the type of battery. You assume wet lead-acid.