Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Should I breakup with my girlfriend?

My girlfriend is super sweet and is always showering me with compliments. She puts so much time and effort into our relationship and she's always trying to make things work. However, I don't really like her in that way. She's not really my type. I like talking with her though, and I miss being just friends. When she asked me out, I didn't know what to say because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. She's always talking about what it'll be like when we're married and stuff and I'm like "yeah that'll be great" when I'm really thinking to myself "omg no." I really can't tell you why I don't like her, at face-value, she's perfect for me. A lot of people say that we're so good for each other. I just feel like I'm pretending all the time. It's probably why we've never argued once before. I'm really tired of putting on an act all the time and not just saying how I feel, but I am the worst when it comes to serious conversations and I feel like I've unintentionally led her on for so long that I shouldn't just up and break up with her. I feel awful and I wish I could just like her that way because she truly is a sincerely good girlfriend that I should feel lucky to have found. What do you think? Do you think that I should put my feelings aside and just be thankful that I have such a genuine girl? Or should I open up and break things off? If you think I should break up with her, what would be the most respectful and not out-of-nowhere way to do so? Thank you!

You can't force feelings that aren't there. Be honest with her and let her know that you're having a hard time viewing her as a romantic partner. If you drag it on it's not really fair to her or yourself as you know where your feelings are and she does not.

The best thing you can do is be honest. This will be a learning lesson for you both. 

Break up, for both your sakes. When she asked you out, you should have said no. That wouldn't ruin the friendship. Test it yes, ruin it no. But now the friendship is ruined. Next time this happens, man up and do what you want, not what you feel the other person wants. Shes going to get hurt worse now than she would have with a little rejection.

Staying with this girl and being deceitful is much worse than being honest and letting a guy who actually loves her in that way be with her. You’re wasting her time. Grow a pair and let the poor girl know.

Sadly, yes I think you should break up with her. You are just leading her on if you don't and in a way lying to her that you care about her the same way she does for her. Also, by staying with her you are keeping yourself from meeting a girl who IS right for you. Just tell her how much she means to you and how nice she is, but that you just want to be friends. Make sure you've given it enough time with her to make sure you truly don't have the same feelings for her.