Which kills more germs and bacteria, washing your hands with soapy water for 20 seconds or more or rubbing hand sanitizer on your hands?

I need to know which kills more germs and bacteria. Is it washing your hands with soapy water for 20 seconds or more or rubbing hand sanitizer on your hands? Please give me details with a source or 2 with your answers, if any of you can! That'd be very greatly appreciated. A source or 2 with each and every answer isn't exactly needed, but it's so very preferred.

• Sandy

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) says handwashing is preferred.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-scienc...

Here's another source, with pictures, that states handwashing is better.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-photos...

• Holy Vengeance

Thank you for your 5 star thorough and informative answer. Congratulations! Your answer has won the "Favorite Answer" award and you've won 10 bonus points.

Right there is a debate, I have always heard it was 37 seconds you need to wash your hands under warm/hot soapy water, since this virus everyone now says 20, which is it.. ? well then washing hands compared to sanitizer, experts says wash your hands, because sanitizers ok  with a certain amount but people are putting to much of it and its somewhat sticky and that  can attract the virus  

Source(s): Me - Boop
  • Ann

My daughter is an RN who works in a hospital, and healthcare workers have been instructed to wash their hands thoroughly. Hand sanitizer and wipes are used when they have gloves on and are transferring things. After their gloves are off, they use sanitizer again. After she is off duty and goes home, she strips out of her scrubs in the garage and puts her shoes and scrubs in baggies before entering the house. The scrubs go in the washer, and using gloves, she cleans the shoes with wipes. She then discards the gloves and washes her hands again.

I think washing hands is better.

• Kate

I will just say one thing...this is not bacteria, it is a virus. Quite different but hot water and soap should be fine.

• Nuff Sed

Nobody said anything about a "virus".

• elhigh

Washing hands is more effective than hand sanitizer.  Do that.  Hand sanitizer is for when you can't wash your hands, a backup option.

Washing .

• Tulip

Look it up yoyrself

Soap and water do not kill the virus, they emulsifies it. That means it entraps it and rinsing takes away the virus. Sanitizer kills the virus but if you miss a spot, the virus will live there

• Nuff Sed

Not scientifically accurate.

Both work - they wreck the coating of the virus which stops it being viable. I am sure you can do your own research.