Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

How did you tell your parents that you were leaving home?

Hi,

I need some advice please on moving out with my boyfriend and buying our first house. We've saved a decent amount for a deposit but as we are in this situation with the Coronavirus, we can't move out just yet.

My parents are aware that I'm currently saving money each month with my ISA account but I don't think they realise that me and my boyfriend want to get our property as soon as we can.

I understand that I'm only 21 and my boyfriend is 22 but we've been together for nearly 5 years and due to family issues that we both have, it is best that we move out as fast as we can. 

How did you tell your parents that you were moving out? How did they respond? And would you give any advice?

Thank you!

• DON W

Your best route is to both get good jobs--that will enable you to get a mortgage to purchase a house and then to be able to afford the monthly payments for the mortgage, for taxes, and for the various costs of living.  

The deposit is nice, but is only a small part of the picture.

If you're really serious about your relationship, I'd suggest that you also get married about that time.  It protects both of you, in particular the woman in a relationship.  If you're serious enough to live together in a house you purchase, you should be serious enough to get married.

Good luck!

It was never an easy decision and I was like anxious till the day I had to tell my Dad. I just told him that I have to relocate because of work and it will be near my boyfriend's place. He said yes but quite hesitant. Then after a month, I really had to tell him the truth and he was fine with it though I was nervous during the entire trip.

• Amy

It wasn’t a hard thing, they knew the time would be coming, a year before I left, I was finishing high school and applying to universities, they knew I would be moving away to go to school. I think most parents expect their children to leave the nest at some point.

How did I tell them? I simply found a pay-phone, called my mother and told her I had been hired for "room and board" at a place next to the university, starting the next day.  Went home, packed up and moved out forever.

I will share my location from google location tracker. Which will help him to easily know I am staying at home.

• Nuff Sed

What does this have to do with anything?

They knew I was going to join the US Air Force after I graduated.

Not sure you have the credit to buy a house yet.

I think the two of you are in over your heads.  

First of all, I arranged for an apartment with friends, one I could afford. Then I told my parents that I was moving into an apartment. It was a done deal.

You and your beloved were literally children when you began your relationship. If the two of you wish to rent an apartment together, that would be a better step you could take. I wouldn't *buy* a house with someone I wasn't married to. Furthermore, at your age and with your very limited life experience, you would be wise to consult older people who had had the experience of buying a home (like, your parents) before I entered into a purchase and sale agreement.

So, if you want to get engaged and start planning a wedding, go ahead. Then the two of you can rent an apartment, get married, and then start looking for a house.

Heh...that's a funny question. It was actually my parents who told me I was leaving home...to go to college. Half way in my senior year at HS my dad told me to apply to Case Western University; so I did. And got admitted. Bye bye home except for occasional visits.

Where I grew up in a small farm town in Ohio, we were expected to leave home soon after graduating from HS. In fact living with the parents after graduation from HS was looked upon as sad or weird. We either went to college, got a wage paying job, or we went to trade school and got set for living on our own.

You see, the primary responsibility of parents was thought to be teaching the kids everything they needed to know to ready them for leaving home and living on their own. In fact the really hard thing for my generation would have been to tell parents we were not leaving home; that we intended to live with them indefinitely.

That tradition of leaving the parents continues in my family. My son moved out to go to college and became a partner in a law firm. My granddaughter moved out to go to college and became a marketing analyst for a biogenetics firm. My older grandson moved out to go to college and take a job with Under Armor in marketing analysis. And my younger grandson will be moving out this summer to go off to college in Connecticut. None...none...has or ever will live with their parents for other than short visits.

So I'd not be surprised if your parents would be relieved when you told them you're moving out.

• ron h

ummmm   I think I said  "I found and apartment."