Lil asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How to know if you should seek counseling services from past relationships?

I ended my 6 year relationship about a year ago. I have no feelings for my ex and really should have ended the relationship years before last year but I felt trapped and was scared to leave due to comfort. My ex screwed me up with a lot of emotional abuse and degrading my confidence that killed my body image/self confidence related to career/success. I’ve worked really hard over the last year to live healthier physically and put my energy into my dream job that I’m pursuing now as well as recentering on what I value as important. I constantly have his degrading comments in the back of my mind and as much as I hate to admit it they still hold a lot of power of me and my self image. I feel so stuck, how do you know if this is something I should seek counseling for? It doesn’t seem all that big because I know most people who seek these services are really struggling... but my friends say it may help because they see the toll he has left on me 

When past experiences negatively affect you moving on with your life and still deeply affect you now, you should seek counseling. The thing you said that most proves you need help is you "still have his degrading comments in the back of your mind".  Talking to someone will really help you heal those old wounds so you feel better about yourself and understand your self-worth and that what he said is NOT true.

• Andy C

If you are American, your psychiatrist or psychologist may have been driven out of business due to the lockdowns and declarations of what is essential.

Counseling services makes me think that you are British, in which case your NHS will keep its doctors and therapists.

If your past relationships prevent future relationships, then you need therapy.

I think it's a good idea. Focus on you now and part of that is to be heard by someone and allow them to challenge the perspective you lived with for 6 years. You sound intelligent and articulate. I bet you would respond well to some therapy.