Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Cutting and doctor's appointment?

I have scars from cutting on both my front upper thighs. I've been clean for a few weeks, maybe a month. But I have an appointment tomorrow. I know my doctor will end up seeing them, but I don't want my family to know or anyone else. Is it possible to let my doctor know to not tell anyone? Because I believe I saw somewhere on someone else's question that one can do that. But I want to be sure (I know that of there's any chance, it'll have to be only because I have stopped cutting). 

Is it possible to tell my doctor to keep it just between her and me? And is there anything else I should know so that I don't get sent to a mental hospital or have my situation exposed, exaggerated and/or exploided? Thank u!!!!

If a doctor thinks you're a danger to yourself, he is required under his code of ethics to discuss it with your parents.

Not knowing your doctor, we can't say what will happen. I can at least tell you this. It doesn't necessarily mean going to the hospital.

This book says that whenever possible, treatment outside a hospital is best because therapy that teaches skills for the real world is best taught in the real world.

Freedom from Self-Harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments

If you go to the Amazon ad, you'll see that readers GREATLY appreciate this book. One said, "This book helped me tremendously."

You know that your parents are going to find out sooner or later. You need treatment, and you can't get it without your parents finding out. 

The smartest thing to do is tell your parents you talked with the doctor about what to do about the problem.

There's a wide variety of treatments. Very severe cases require months of intense therapy but many people do well with a treatment that's just a booklet and a few therapy sessions, usually 2 or 3.

Good news - treatments that only reduce self-harm are considered successful. The less you self-harm the stronger you are and better able to deal with the problems that led to your self-harm. Likewise, the better you are in dealing with the underlying problems reduces the self-harm,

• LAN

How many times do you plan on continually posting these lies over and over?

I don't know you.  But what you are doing suggests you are female under 30s and most likely sexually abused.  I might be very off.  Thats just what causes people to cut in such a way.  At very least that is what she will assume 

I'd not tell her.  She could tell family & others. She could feel you are suicidal when you are not.  I work with women who have CPTSD, BOD, PTSD & BD. Doctors often misunderstand.  Sometimes people just don't care.

Nothing may happen.  It could go very wrong.  She could ignore it

• audrey

When you first step in your doctor's exam room, tell him flat out that you DO NOT want your parents informed about some things that will come up. He has to respect your wishes.

it depends on your age and the consequences surrounding the cutting. Doctors are required to keep your medical information confidential, but if they deem you as a threat to yourself or others then they can absolutely take action.