Best beginner cruiser motorcycle ?

So I had a Harley sportster 1200 loved it. What’s the best decently priced cruiser. Wants something in the 900 to 1200 cc range 

• Bill

If you had a 1200 cc Sportster and liked it, go with another.  Sportsters are available in several configurations and readily available both new and used.  Just choose one from 2004 and newer for the better motor mounts  for less vibration. 

Personally, would go for a 1200 Iron, there is an 883 version also.  Have a 2016 1200C Custom and like it, traded an over-modded 2007 Dyna for it.  Would get the Iron if I was shopping again.

• adam

Um if you loved the 1200 sporty than why ask? Get another. OR plenty of decent priced dynas out there. The Dyna is basically a sporty with a big twin motor. Its a unitised motor/transmission. Mid controls so its a standard. 96 Cubic inches in a small package. I love mine. If you want an import then I say Honda shadow even though its a pain to work on. The upside is Honda doesnt need much done to it ever. 

Honda Shadow.............

• adam

not if you need to work on it 

the best is a matter of opinion. I would not consider a 900-1200 to be a beginner bike by any stretch of the imagination. But sometimes you don't have a choice. My first bike was a Yamaha virago 750, but i am 250lbs and 6'4" so that was pretty much my only option to begin on. Anything else would have been to small, with the exception of a Honda Rebel. For all intents and purposes the Honda Rebel is flat out the best beginner bike out there. It is incredibly agile forgiving and easy to ride regardless of how big or small you are. If you are looking in the 900-1200 range then a Sportster or a Yamaha Bolt or the Vulcan s. 

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900.  I love it!  Very easy bike to ride.  Not horribly powerful but probably on a par with a Sportster, and it can cruise at 80mph all day.  It has that nice V-twin sound when you start it up.  Very comfortable on a long ride.  There are a lot of them on the used market for reasonable prices.  I've traveled on it all up and down the West Coast.

But one of the most popular motorcycles ever made is the Honda Shadow 750.  It goes back to the Reagan admin.  There's MILLIONS of them out there.  It's perhaps a little less powerful than the Vulcan but otherwise very good.  Harley Davidson themselves came out with a water-cooled 750 V-twin just because of the extreme popularity of the Honda Shadow.