Rental history check ?

Okay so me and my boyfriend want to move in together, i currently live with my mom and the apartment is mainly under my name, now if we move in together and we get an apartment under his name, will it show that I currently have a lease? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It won't show up on your credit report, but if the landlord is at all through in their job, they'll call your old landlord for a reference and then they'll find out.  Many landlords won't make that call (especially considering the place is in your bf's name), but some will, so there is a decent chance they'll find out.  Also, your address is probably on your credit so if you put in that you are curerntly living with your bf (or somewhere else) that too might get caught, or might not.

Kinda obvious question but could your mom just put the lease in only her name, or at least make this change when the lease is up? If your mother doesn't hae the credit and income to put it in just her name, this is a really good sign that she'll default on the lese at some point, and crush your credit along with hers.  So, it would be really nice to get off this lease before making this move.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

YES................................

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There's no such thing as "mainly" under your name.  Either you're both on the lease or you aren't.  If you are, it probably wouldn't show up in rental history, but if you plan to leave, you'd better make sure mom will pay the full amount until the lease ends.  You're putting your credit rating in mom's hands if you do this.  The other issue is whether or not your bf's apartment complex requires all adult tenants to be listed, not on the lease but listed as living  there . If they do, and you have to go through credit or background check, the current lease might show up on credit. 

• 2 months ago

You will both have to be approved and you will both have to sign the lease. Apartments do not show to anyone that you signed a lease - that is not public information. Unless, of course, if you violate the lease and are sued. That would be public information.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it might show that

• 2 months ago

There is no such thing as mainly under your name. All tenants on the same lease are equals. If mom is on the lease then you both are equally responsible for the unit.  Leases are not public record but that does not mean you can hide it from them.  

You cannot get a place in just his name unless the landlord agrees to it & most will not.  Most landlords require all adults to be screened & on the lease. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.