Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 2 months ago

What do you think of people who visit Paris (the one in France) and do not learn even a word of French, expecting to be spoken to in English?

• Inconsiderate...

Applicable to anyone visiting a place that isn't their native language. A bit of effort goes a long ways.

When I travel, I always learn the basic phrases of a language - I'd hate to be mistaken for an American.  I'm fluent in Italian and fairly fluent in French.  However, my experience of Paris is that if your French is anything less than perfect, they reply to you in English.  I once stayed at a hotel in Paris and had a conversation in French with the man at reception and thought that my French must be getting good.  I later discovered that he was English and came from a part of London about 2 miles from where I live.

• Cei

I travel a lot and I think it's only polite to at least try and say some basic stuff in the local language. People who don't bother are just ignorant in my book.

Words like Hello, Thank You, Goodbye can get you a long way. I suppose I'm lucky, being European, lots of different languages all within a 2 - 3 hour travel time so you kinda have to learn the basics and get plenty of chance to practise. 

I can get by in most European languages.

France is really weird - if you don't even try and speak French they will claim they don't speak English, but if you try they will quite happily switch to English.

if they r visitors/troursists y wud they learn french? do u lern language of every country u visit? no logic

• Cei

Nothing better is required.Your own post proves your lack of ability and intelligence

• Kev

I think that if you go to visit another country, then you should learn some of their basic language.

• CAB

Escargot Peugot bidet.

I let my wife do the talking there. I did the talking in Spain.

Having gone to the trouble of teaching the entire world to speak English pays dividends when travelling.

They gotta be 'Murricans. 🇺🇸