Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

If you were sick would you have someone to A. Care for you? B. Deliver food to your house? I wouldn’t, I’m all alone?

An aquaintance has had a tooth pulled out.

People are bringing her soup & treats.

She’s posted it on social media.

Is she bragging??

Think yourself lucky you  if have support.

She’s boasting how “good” her friends are, is she full of ego and trying to make people all alone feel bad???

Don't be envious of someone who's fortunate enough to have caring friends and who thanks them publicly on social media. If you're all alone this is largely a condition of your own creation.

I think that because you are all alone, YOU feel badly. I do not believe those who have helpful friends and family are bragging., they are showing signs of being grateful  NOT rubbing it in your face! I think you may be overly sensitive.

After social distancing is over, you may decide to be pro-active and make some friends. We all get by with a little help from our friends...like the Beatles song sings.

I would have both A and B.

I'm going to say something here, and I know it's going to sting, but:

"This is not about you."

I doubt she even thought about you when posting it. Most people in this kind of situation post on social media because they are happy, grateful, feel special, and want to show appreciation to their friends.

I am sorry that you are alone and I can understand that you might feel envious, but that's on you. Even if she is doing it to spite you, it's still on you.

Now, I don't know why you are alone or why you don't have anyone in your life who would step up and take care of you if you needed it. I would sincerely wish that you had and I hope you won't be alone for much longer.

If I were you, I'd go on social media, be happy for her, and tell her how lucky she is to have such wonderful friends (don't mention yourself, remember this is about her). This will most likely not go unnoticed, not by her and not by her friends, and it's often little things like this that will accumulate "goodwill coins" into your "friendship piggy bank".

Your acquaintance's piggy bank is full at the moment, but that's not to say that yours can't fill as well.

No, I would not have my own personal delivery service either. When I'm sick I take care of myself. 

I have no idea if your friend brags. 

depends on how sick i was

Many of us are in the same boat.  Your best bet is to get and stay organized. 

Of course she isn't bragging.  She's acknowledging her friends for helping her.

Of course she's not bragging. She's letting people know how grateful she is to these kind friends and neighbours.

If you choose to see it as boasting, I'm afraid the problem is YOU, not her.

I'm sure it's grim being alone. But plenty of people who live alone, like this lady with the tooth, still manage to make friends, and those friends, in difficult times like these, automatically think, 'Oh I wonder how I can help Babs' or whatever her name is.

If people don't automatically think of helping you, maybe it's because it's no pleasure for them.

What you see as bragging could simply be this person sharing her good fortune and gratitude with others.  Given you cannot change or control others, why not choose to put your perspective onto yourself and how you live your own life.  Choices you have made have brought you to where you are right now, so if you want different outcomes, reflect on your decision-making processes.  Decide how you want to live and make this happen for yourself.

Sucks to be you hey? You must be an amazing person to be all alone.

Lol..