Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

why do atheists dislike the idea of a higher power to submit to?

48 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

*sigh*

The word 'SUBMIT', not surprisingly, evokes feelings of subjegation, slavery, degradation, humiliation.... all kinds of abuse. The abuse of power by tyrant rulers is at the root of it.

Of course, anyone with any shred of integrity would be repulsed at the thought.

But in reality, the word 'submit' just means to let a leader lead.

Let me take you to my leader. :)

Rather than just create the world and then leave it to all its problems, the Bible teaches that the real God gave us rules and guidelines to help us have the healthiest life and planet possible. He also stands opposed to those who would break these rules and hurt other people, themselves, or the planet in the process. Jews, Muslims, and Christians all agree on this point.

But here's where the Christian message is specifically beautiful. The New Testament teaches that God loved us so much that, when he saw we couldn't live up to his high standards, he came down to earth, became one of his (amazing) creations, and died a death that would take all the punishment away from us "law-breakers". How beautiful -- CreatOR becomes creatION, and takes all our personal failures and hurts upon himself on the cross. Then he dies the death of a criminal, so we could be filled with new life -- minus all the dirt and grime .

Wow! The God of the Bible isn't a fat, contented man sitting in the lotus position with a grin on his face just watching us. No, he is the twisted, tortured figure left to die on a Roman cross because he loves us so much he was willing to become one of us.

That's the God the Bible tells us about...but you are free to take it or leave it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Satan would be a higher power, if he existed.  You'd be pleased if I wanted to submit to him?

• 2 months ago

What higher power?  Atheist do not accept belief that a god exists, therefore, we do not dislike what we do not believe exists.

• Den B7
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not a matter of "like". It's about belief.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Actually it is not that they dislike the idea, it is just that they do not believe in the typical definition of a higher power. But the simple fact is that atheists do believe in something that transcends mankind. It is just that they are not used to calling that "something" by the name God. I do not think I have yet found an atheist that does not accept my definition of God, as long as I do not use the word "God."

• 2 months ago

Because it is absurd to make one's self essentially a slave to another.

• antonius
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

And believers are all slaves to religion leaders.

• tenn
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's not what atheism is about. It's just one of the lies Christians tell themselves in order to feel superior. Their egos need regular stoking.

• antonius
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That the reason they claim so much from the bible and most go to church. It's like filling their gas tank.

• 2 months ago

Atheism is simply the belief that there is no God. That isn't disliking the idea of submitting to a higher power and some of them probably wish there was a God.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Nitpick: Atheism is the lack of god belief. Not a positive belief "there is no God". Otherwise, I agree.

• 2 months ago

Srsly   who would ever be allowed to be higher than those narcissistic fools?

• ...Show all comments
    • antonius
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You dipsh8ts have to continue trying to blame nonbelievers to support your ugly and disgusting religion that has stolen more than any other criminal organization.

• 2 months ago

The idea is one thing, the actuality is quite another.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.