Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How to avoid handshake?

Should I just leave them hanging? Handshakes are the transmission of germs- no go right now.

No sane person is reaching out for a handshake right now. So just nod politely and stand at least six feet away.

• denise

You could just 'wave' or even bump elbows.

just tell them youre practicing social distancing

• J

Just say “nice to meet you, but I’d rather not shake hands”. If they’re at all reasonable, they will understand. 

It OK to be vocal about the danger now a days, and doing so will prevent leaving anyone hanging. We are all going to have to get over the habit and that will take time.

• JJ

Put up both your hands like a five-year old is holding a pretend gun against you, and say, ‘Please forgive me, I don’t dare, I have this coronavirus phobia.

No one has been shaking hands since at least February.

• Elaine

The best way to avoid the handshakes is to use the "namaste"  before the other person can extend his/her hand. With the Covid-19 pandemic only an idiot would get offended if someone refused to shake hands.  

I don't understand why anyone would want to handshake at a time like this unless it's people who live with you. But then again there are still people rushing to the beaches for spring break. Yea, I would just go for the elbow bump as well. They should understand your concerns due to our current pandemic.

No obligation to shake heads, politely decline and offer an elbow bump instead. Alternatively, simply smile and say hello.