? asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

saving electricity "tips" ?

i have a few little night lights around my house..and i having got in a habit of turning them off during the day. am i saving in on electricity by having them off or do you only see a difference when you actually unplug them? also this goes for all plugs except you know fridge, oven, washer & dryer

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It has to be drawing current to use electricity - turning things off will save money, but nightlights are not going to be a significant saving. Older televisions on standby can use a lot so are worth unplugging. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You're saving a fractional amount of electricity by turning them off - night lights draw very little anyway.  They draw nothing when turned off, you don't need to unplug them.  That goes for anything except some electronics like tv's which can continue to draw a small amount of power when turned off unless you unplug them.

• 2 months ago

No electricity leaks out of plugs, so turning off the light or appliance is enough. [Note - electronics like TV's always draw a little electricity to stay warm - which prevents dust or moisture from building up and shorting out the unit when powered up from a cold state.]

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If there is an on/off switch and you turn it off, they don't use any electricity.  Unplugging them does not save you more.

If you unplug lights or devices with lights, you do save some but today, it's typically very little.

Assume your nightlight is 5W.  if it's on 24 hours, that's 0.005 kW * 24 hr = 0.12 kWh.  At 15 cents a kWh (assumed), that's 1.8 cents a day.

Google the make and model of the device and look for a number called 'standby losses' or 'standby power use'.  It's not always available unfortunately.  You can measure it with a device called a kill-a-watt meter. I bought one and used it to check the standby losses in my house.  only one old stereo was using a significant amount of power.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Seriously???? A night light uses almost no electricity. Is a few cents a month actually worth your time????

• Josh2 months agoReport

like it takes an hour to switch it off🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.