Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Christians, please answer me?

It says in the bible that blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin (I'm pretty sute), I'm taken God's name in vain, am I going to hell?

taking not taken

I would like to ask you a question: Do you WANT to be condemned by God? Forgiveness is a gift, but our Creator has an important condition before he forgives anyone of sin. That condition is repentance. This is what the scriptures which are inspired by God say about it:

"Let the wicked man leave his way,

And the evil man his thoughts;

Let him return to Jehovah, who will have mercy on him,

To our God, for he will forgive in a large way.."

Isaiah 55:7

Repentance means a lot more than saying "I'm sorry."

It also has to do with making a sincere promise to never do the thing that God calls wicked again. 

Then it is a matter of doing something to live up to that promise. Jesus Christ is the way that God has provided n order for us to change our lives and live in harmony with his will. To do so, we must find out what his will is for us, and that requires a study of his word.

For instance, you mentioned that the Bible says that blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin.  Why don't we look at the actual scripture and find out what it says exactly?  --

Jesus Christ said. “Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.” (Matthew 12:31)

What does that mean? One of the best examples of this kind of sin was what happened when Jesus was arrested.  Judas identified Jesus to the soldiers with a kiss, and all of the apostles ran away. Peter, who just hours earlier insisted that he would never deny him,  denied that he knew Jesus repeatedly, even cursing and swearing to it.  Then, when he saw Jesus looking at him, he ran away weeping bitterly.

Eventually the apostles came together again, although in hiding.  Judas did not join them, but instead went to the Jewish priests. Although he admitted that he betrayed innocent blood, and threw back the silver pieces that he was given, he did not return to the apostles to seek forgiveness, but instead went off and hanged himself.

Jesus, in his prayer to his God and Father before he was arrested, called Judas "the son of destruction." John 17:12 He was not forgiven, because he knew that Jesus is the Son of God, and he bore witness to the powerful miracles that he performed by means of the holy spirit. What he did was a sin against the holy spirit.

The other apostles did seek forgiveness, and was given it in faith through prayer and repentance. Even though they abandoned him, the apostles by their words and actions displayed what John the Baptist earlier called the "fruits of repentance."  

When Jesus was resurrected, he came back to them, staying with them for forty days, and repeating his command that they teach, or make disciples, of people of all nations - and they obeyed his commands.

Do you see the difference between the actions of Judas and those of the apostles?

What should you do to show that you want God to forgive you?

More about this subject is discussed in this link -

"Have You Sinned Against The Holy Spirit?" 

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007525

• Roberta B

I am perceiving that the questioner is not just a little kid. Also, a child who is old enough to understand "blasphemy" and "unforgivable sin" deserves a straightforward answer. We have a Bible story book that addresses the life lessons behind them. https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-stories/

No not necessary. As long as you repent and believe on Jesus Christ you will be saved. The only unforgivable sin is unbelief. 

• Roberta B

It is all nothing but trying to support a religion, and no religion has ever done anything good for mankind. They are always making up sh*t to try keeping the lie afloat.

• Paul

Taking God's name in vain is not the "blasphemy" the Bible speaks of. It is exclusion of God from your life.

• Roberta B

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Ask the Lord to forgive you of calling His name in vain and do not do it again. Ask the Lord Jesus to come into your heart so you can know Him. Forgive those who have sinned against you. When we can love one another, it shows the Lord Jesus in us. Find a good Bible believing and preaching pastor and be baptized. We are commanded to study God's word, the Holy Bible. The Bible opens up to us as the Holy Spirit guides us through it. Jesus took all the sins of the world, even this coronavirus, upon Himself so we could receive eternal life for accepting Him. Sin causes curses and this virus is a curse. Once you accept Jesus as your Savior, then you are a sinner saved by His grace. I stand on His promises that a thousand may fall at my side, ten thousand at my right hand, but this virus will not come near me ... nor my dwelling. Amen

• Roberta B

Wisely, the holy scriptures also say:

“Shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and proceeds to conceal himself, but the inexperienced have passed along and must suffer the penalty.”—Prov. 22:3.

You have taken a bit in the Old Testament and confused it with one in the N.T. It was Jesus who warned that even speaking against Himself could be forgiven, but not blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. God warned the new nation of Israel, at Mount Sinai, never to take His name in vain: the third of the Ten Commandments -"The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name" Exodus 20:7. Yet it does not say that the punishment would be hell. Jesus, though, said that those who rejected Him would not escape the judgment of hell - read Matthew 23:13-33.

The Holy Spirit knows whether anyone has committed the unforgivable sin. Such a one has no worries or fears at having gone so far - proof that they are beyond repentance. Only those who have utterly hardened their hearts against God will go that far. But don't view it as a light thing, to take God's name in vain. That could be the start of the slippery downward slope that leads to hell.

It says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only unpardonable sin. So no, your aren't going to hell. God knows that we aren't perfect and we are going to mess up from time to time. We are sinners and we have a sin nature. We bring our mistakes to the Lord and He is ready to forgive us and strengthen us to live a holy life. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when you totally reject the spirit for its part in salvation. Your saying "I can make it on my own". And the truth of God is a lie. This is something deliberate and sincerely intended.

The claim, made in the New Testament, is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, not blasphemy itself.

"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, any sin and blasphemy can be forgiven. But blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Matthew 12:30-32.

So you're fine.

• David2 months agoReport

what are you on about Antonius with your three names, because guess what that book know as the bible has only ever said one name for the almighty god that will differ a little depending on the language as in English (JEHOVAH) or Hebrew (YAHWEH). where does the bible say three.

• susan

I don't think so. If you choose to be a follower of Jesus, then by God's grace, through Jesus you can have forgiveness and a new relationship with God. You can't accidentally disqualify yourself from being a Christian. If you want to be a Christian, then you are allowed to be one.