Anonymous

Can I be disciplined for calling out because I was being tested for covid?

I couldn’t find anything relevant online so 2 weeks ago I was sick af I went to work one day of my 3 work days a week I called out while I was at work for the next day because I was about to pass out but we were short staffed so I stayed the rest of the night. On Friday I had a fever of 101 and we aren’t allowed to work while coughing with a fever over 100 so I told them because I was dizzy I knew driving to work just to be sent home would be dangerous so they said I couldn’t come into work and would have to make up the weekend shift per policy meaning I have to work a Saturday shift because I work every Friday. I was like I’ll come to work cause I don’t want to do that though but they wouldn’t let me. Same day I go to urgent care get flu tested and get the results a few hours later it was negative so they sent it for covid so basically Friday I was being tested for covid which we can’t work while being suspected of having it. Idk whole thing is dumb 

It's a little hard to follow your post.  I don't see why you would be concerned about being disciplined.  You had a fever, the company's policy is that you don't come to work (which right now is very common).  You told them you were feeling dizzy and they told you not to come into work.  At my job, if you have a fever, you immediately go home and you are there for 2 weeks.

Where is the discipline issue?  If you have to work Saturday because you were out Friday and you just don't show up (because you don't want to work that day), is that what you are worried about?

If you think that's dumb, in my state they won't test you for covid unless you're in the hospital for covid.  They don't tell you how they know you have covid and need to be in the hospital in the first place.  That type of circular garbage is called a "Catch 22".

Your last sentence includes the phrase "we can’t work while being suspected of having it (covid)". I assume this is a company policy, so simply tell them you are suspected of having covid and thus can't work until you get the test results back.  They might not be happy about it but go to work without knowing for sure and your co-workers won't be at all happy about that.

get the paper from medical establishment u were tested at that u were tested and then present it to your employer.

• You should take Covid 19 more seriously, and do what your workplace is advising you to do. Covid 19 isn't dumb, it can infect any one. If you're not allowed to show up at work sick, then you can be disciplined for doing so. You don't want to get fired, now that would be dumb. They don't want you or other staff that are sick, making other people sick. If you're sick you should be at home resting and getting better. You don't want to cause new cases of Covid 19, if you happen to have it. 

• John2 months agoReport

Your company would be acting against their own best interest by making you come to work while sick, covid or not, but I doubt that there is any law on the books forbidding it.