Anonymous

I am interested in getting a banking job... can anyone answer my question?

I have been told before to get a job in banking you usually move your way up and don’t need any specific schooling, and that they teach you when your there. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you!

Teller positions are entry-level.  No education required and customer service experience is usually helpful.  If you want to make a career out of it you should consider getting a degree in accounting.  It definitely helps to know basic accounting principles and might be required/preferred for some jobs.  

Although the lady who does our accounting is well-respected in the office and entirely self-taught.  She knows what questions to ask and does her own research to find answers when something doesn't make sense.

• Judy

Somewhat true. Depends on what specific job. Some require formal education, not just working your way up.

• DEBS

That can be true about many jobs.  What is also equally true is that you have a much better chance of getting the entry level job and a higher chance of progressing if you have some sort of education.  Part of that is just an 'on paper' thing, but a large part of it is that an education as teaches you things that you use in your job.  

Yes it is often true. Start as a teller and work your way up. Though I am sure a business or accounting degree might help