Badal asked in SportsTennis · 4 months ago

Now that wimbledon plays as slow as clay has it lost its prestige it is the same as all the other surfaces?

I would say it's still the most prestigious tournament, but it does play more like a hard court tournament these days. Serve-volley is pretty much extinct at Wimbledon these days, an amazing thing to say about a grass court tournament. I think the last out and out serve-volleyer to win Wimbledon was Goran Ivanisevic in 2001. And it was 2002 when they first started consciously slowing the surface at Wimbledon and using a lighter ball etc. And who won it that year? Leyton Hewitt, a baseliner if ever there was one 

• Chuck

Wimbledon will always be the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world.   But, I think you're right, tennis has lost some of the fun and excitement of net-rushing, serve-and-volley,  lobs, overheads, passing shots, etc.   Young people don't know what they're missing!

• Kev

No, I still think that it is the best tournament

The speed of the surface at Wimbledon is fairly irrelevant because modern racket technology has made the winning strategy on every surface the same.  Rackets are so "overpowered" now that players can just stand at the baseline and bash all day to win entire tournaments, regardless of the surface.  That more than anything has killed my interest in watching grass court (or clay court) tennis.   

No way.   Wimbledon will ALWAYS have it's own MAGIC to say nothing of TRADITION.  Which is why it remains the number one tournament of the season, in the eyes of most players - and spectators who flock there every year.   Sadly not this year.  Thank you China.

• Bob

I don't agree that it plays as slow as clay,and no I don't think it has lost it's prestige.