Is it worth buying a ps3 in 2020?

I’ve never owned a PlayStation console and I was wondering if it’s a good place to start.

A classic model can play PS1 PS2 and PS3 games and can be bought used for around 80 bones. The slim models are better in almost every way but without PlayStation2 backwards compatibility and costs about 120 dollars.  Should I even buy one and if so which model?

I say it’s definitely still worth buying a PS3 nowadays. 

Unfortunately the the fat ones are more prone to failure like the other guy had mentioned, but if you know how to fix the issues, then yes go with the original 60/80GB models due to them having the ability to play the PS2 discs.

But in general, considering that you got 3 generations of possible games to play in a single console and as well as still being able to run apps like YouTube, Netflix, Cracker, crunchyroll, tubi tv and Spotify, and being able to run media files from a portable drive in a FAT32 format (USB thumb drive is already in this format), buying a functional one is never a bad idea at the moment.

Just that the problem is no guarantee the apps mentioned above will continue to work beyond this decade as app support and functionality tend to eventually become unavailable as time goes on. 

it’s totally worth it, you can still play most games online still

ps3 is one of my favorite consoles of all time. While I would still recommend it. You will better off buying a ps4 and an xbox one. 

The reason is because majority of the best ps3 exclusives have already been re released on ps4 with significant graphical upgrades and other bonuses. While there are also a lot of multi platform games that were not re released on current consoles, majority of them are backwards compatible on xbox one (the xbox 360 version).  The xbox 360 versions of games usually look and ran slightly better on 360, and on top of that there are alot of benifits for running the 360 games on an xbox one x. You get performance enhancements, minor graphical enhancements (forced 16x anisotropic filtering,and no screen tearing) as well as some games have been re worked to run at 9 times the (720p now becomes 4k) resolution as well as other minor enhancements. Also the dualshock 4 and xbox one controller are enhanced over the ps3 controller 

Those old Fat PS3's would die because Sony was using an environmentally friendly Lead-Free Solder. In fact this was an industry wide problem with a lot of hardware from the later part of the 2000's decade that extended to PC parts and the XBox. I "baked" my brother's 60gb Fat PS3 three times before he went out and got a new one.

There are 2 different versions of the Fat 80gb model. The first one had an emulator chip that gave it the ability to play PS2 games, the 2nd one didn't which is the one llaffer is talking about. The 80gb version would run a little bit cooler because the CPU and GPU had the die shrunk to 65nm.

My son had the Slim PS3 but it died after a few years, then he got the Super Slim version which has managed to hold on and run for years.

If there are games that you'll play, it's worth it.

The problem with the original "fat" models is they have problems with overheating resulting in the "yellow light of death". Mine died, and even after having it die and repaired three times, I finally caved and bought a "slim" model.

All PS3s can play PS1 discs, but if you want the PS2 compatibility, you're going to need to make sure that it has four USB ports in the front.  Newer models that took the PS2 compatibility out also removed two ports from the front. These generally will cost more due to the known compatibility.

80 bones? Where do you live where you pay with chicken bones? Or is it human bones?