star asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Why does my dog bark at my mom?

My mom rescued this little jack Russell terrierand brought it him. The vets said he couldn't be more than a year old. He's a little bit of a menace and none of us are incredibly accustomed to small dogs. Mom seems to be his favourite person- she's the one who brought him, the person he's spent the most time with, he's most excited when she's around, always wants to be where she is, etc. But for some reason he just randomly will start barking at her and he won't stop until someone comes and removes him from the room. We can't figure out why or a good way of getting him to stop. He sits it when hes in a particular room with her, weve theorized its because he cant get up and that chair with her but there's no helping that. But he barks most incessantly when she's in the kitchen. She can do any number of things to set him off- dance, sing, exercise, or literally just stand there. Is this a normal little dog thing? Is he just damaged goods? What is up with this little brat??

• OTTO

I've allowed my dog (Schipperke) to express himself naturally for the 3 years we've been together. Yesterday I decided his barking and jumping in the truck when we start on a trip was no longer tolerable. I've been ignoring it, but no more. So I followed a suggestion from Answers to shake a can of pennies. It worked instantly! 

Because you allow him to get away with it.When he barks spray him with water.if all else fails use a shock  collar.He will learn quick enough but make sure you get one for that size of dog and try it on yourself first in the palm of your hand.A training shock collar is better than a bark collar since you can use it for all bad habits.

maybe he is wanting her to play with him? You could do some basic training with him

I'd suggest this is for attention.   If you've only just adopted him, it may pass as he becomes more settled.  I realise it's hard to just ignore, but the more you do react, the more he's going to do this.   Jackies are very intelligent, but also very active and often yappie.  But by no means are all like this - I lived on a Boarding Kennel for a few years and they bred these.   Theirs were not how I always thought of the breed!!

You may simply be finding out why he lost his former home.    Rescues often come with what I call 'baggage', some of which needs to be sorted out.

She may be doing something that may be triggering memories from when he was with the previous owners that is upsetting him. Who knows what may have happened to him with his previous owners? He may be seeing some of her actions as what the previous people did to him to abuse him, even tho your mom is NOT abusing him. He may see your mom dancing and thinks she is taking a swing at him. The previous owners may have beaten him in the kitchen and now it upsets him to have someone in there. Who knows? One thing tho~ he is NOT damaged goods, nor is he a brat. He is a little dog that is just trying to have a decent life the same as any living creature, and it is up to you to provide it for him.

• Jojo

It would help to know how long this has been going on and if your Mum takes the dog out for walks and exercise during the day.

The barking is more than likely him wanting attention of some sort.

The more he is taken notice of, the more he will bark, because the barking IS working.

Jack Russell's are small dogs but most need lots of exercise and mental stimulation and most like to `hunt` for vermin.

A tired dog is a happy dog, and it might be just a case of giving this little dog more exercise to tire him out. 

Ignoring his noise may work, but I appreciate its hard to ignore a dog that constantly barks for attention. 

Please appreciate I can only comment on the few facts you have posted about the dog and his daily routine.  

• Ana

Get a vibrate/shock/beeping sound collar. Then plug it in and charge it first, and put that special collar on your dog

When he barks the first time, immediately do the BEEP! sound. Repeat it up to one other time he barks.

The next time he barks out of turn, vibrate him.

The third time, SHOCK him. Use the shock on about level 20. If that doesn’t work, raise it by 5% each time until he yelps and stops barking.

Soon he will learn not to bark.

With that said, just make sure he has enough food, water, exercise and love and attention. Dogs need all that

• Barry

Give your dog the command to "speak," wait for him to bark two or three times, and then stick a tasty treat in front of his nose. When he stops barking to sniff the treat, praise him and give him the treat. Repeat until he starts barking as soon as you say "speak."