Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 4 months ago

Why is South Korea the most famous Asian country in the US?

• Gonzo

F South Korea. I lived there for over a year and it is a toilet. Japan is where you want to go. 

Because Americans have a trust of South Korean products. Thats why the Hyundai Palisade was designed is US only.

It depend on there livelihood and culture. 

I would say Japan is.  After all they make Toyota, Honda and Lexus.  

• Kev

I think China is the most famous Asian country in the US, particularly because there's a lot of Chinatowns in the country and China is quite often featured in the news more so than any other countries.  

• Kate

Sorry but I think you may have your geography all mixed up. Plase look at a map, Korea is not part of America.

Why do you think it is?

• lkl

I believe Japan is the most famous Asian country in the US.

After Korean war South Korea became very trusted ally of US that's the reason.

• Andrew

I wouldn't classify any country as being "famous" as that's an adjective that's normally reserved for people and specific places, such as landmarks or tourist attractions. I would refer to a country as being "well known", and it's obvious that some countries are more well known than others. 

Americans are well aware of the more well known Asian countries such as China, India, Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and many others. Of course, different countries are known for different things. Countries like Iran, Iraq, Israel, North Korea and Syria are known because they're in the news fairly often. Countries like Indonesia, Thailand and the Maldives are well known because they get a lot of visitors. Vietnam and Cambodia are well known because of the political situation there and their involvement in international conflicts. 

Americans drive Korean and Japanese cars, they purchase electronics from those countries and are aware that those countries are considered US allies, but China is the most populous, the most powerful, and therefore the most relevant Asian country for Americans. 

Since the dissolution of the USSR and the dilution of Moscow's power and influence in the world, China has risen to fill the gap. China could be considered the chief economic rival of the USA, and although most Americans believe that the real threat in the world is militant Islam, it's obvious that the next major war will be a US - China showdown. 

Both Korea and Japan are countries with modest populations by world standards, with an ageing population, and limited military strength. And while South Korea is becoming ever richer and more powerful, Japan is seeing a decline in its economic output and is considered to be less important as a regional player. Both Korea and Japan are essentially US lapdog states in terms of their international affairs being determined by Washington, but one day North and South Korea will be reunified and with the leap in population and economic potential, Korea will blow Japan right out of the water.