Kia asked in HealthDental · 5 months ago

How can I tell my boyfriend that I think he needs braces?

I’ve been dating my guy for 2 years. I’m 20 and he’s 19. He’s an amazing guy in every way. He’s perfect for me. But he has really crooked teeth (top and bottom) that I really think he should get braces for. He has once told me that the dentist tried getting him to get braces but he basically said f*** it and how he doesn’t care about how his teeth look, and how he just doesn’t show his teeth when he smiles. He would have such a nice smile with straight teeth. The front ones are kind of facing out so when we kiss I can sometimes feel his teeth and it drives me crazy. It might help to add that I had bad teeth and got braces for 3 years and I was so thankful for those and I love nice teeth. (I’m also planning to be a dental assistant). I just don’t know how to ask him to

get them without seeming pushy or making him feel obligated to because of me. I was thinking of bringing up how I can feel them when we kiss and just mention to him to consider braces to help him feel/look better. Because I know when he gets older this will most likely cause him stress if he doesn’t get them fixed. He is pretty understanding I just feel weird bringing it up after 2 years. It’s just bothering me more and more because I see him hiding his teeth when he smiles and being able to feel them when we kiss is getting to me. And he can afford them so he doesn’t have to worry about it financially...Idk what to do or how to bring it up 

And when I say I can feel his teeth when he kiss, it’s not like sometimes our teeth bump which can happen to anyone, I can just feel the crooked ones because they stick out, kind of like a snaggletooth as well 

• Marc

I dont mean to be rude with you but this is just another classic example of one person wanting to change another. You can hide it in all the "i care about his health" blah blah blah, but that is a lie. This is 100% about you. You met him and his teeth were that way and you accepted him that way. You have to decide what you want and stop making anything about the other person.

In simple terms he has crooked teeth...you have a choice. You can either live with it and love it, live with it and hate it or leave it. Replace crooked teeth with smoking, the way he dresses, the way he walks, the way he smells and so on...none of it is about him but what YOU think about. If you dotn like his teeth and it creates separation between you two you can simply express the truth. " I love you and I care about you and I would never say or do anything to hurt you but recently ive noticed that I am making your dental issues, mine. And im sorry about that, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help you". If, he says no, then its done. You can no longer say anything...if you cant move past it, then you need to make another choice. But remember this it is not your job to change anyone. No where in a relationship is there ever a rule that its your job to change the other person...your job is to be full and bring love to the relationship.