What the hell is wrong with birds constantly swooping in front of cars on the road?

Oh my god driving this morning I literally had 4 birds swoop in front of my car just to head up to a power line across the steet? What the hell? Even when no cars are coming they will be 30 feet up in the air and to cross the street they will swoop down almost to road level just to head up to a power line . why the hell can't they just fly across the street from the height they are already at?? I see this all the time !

Just run those SOB's over

• ?

I dont think this behaviour has been analysed in depth, but its possible that birds, like humans, experience a burst of adrenalin and other hormones when theyre in a dangerous situation, and riding the air current flowing over your car gives them a rush that they find addictive

they are using the difference in air pressure caused by the windscreen to gain the required height while expending less energy.

not all birds will do this but i guess they are the same species and live in social groups so if one starts doing it the others start too.

you should film it and stick it online.

Now you know why the term "bird brain" is used for people who just seem to be in their own way. Birds did not evolve with cars and highways present so you cannot expect their normal behavior to coincide with what motorists require.

I love birds,all animals actually. But...never try and swerve to.miss birds or any other small creature. You could kill someone else or yourself. I do agree with you though. They do that.

• Dze

not positive, but i think at least with some species they have a nest nearby and its standard procedure to distract a 'threat' away from the nest ...

• lkl

I'm a birder so I absolutely love birds. Did you know that birds are very intelligent? Out of all the birds you see have you noticed how many get run over? Not many at all, they're fast too :)