Celifrog asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

What's your opinion on sponge filters for aquariums?

• Akeath

These are simple filters with good biological and mechanical filtration. I think they work best in smaller tanks that don't need a powerful filter. The lack of current and inability to suck up fry makes sponge filters especially good for breeding tanks, tanks where you raise fry, or tanks where you are temporarily quarantining fish. It is also easy to put a small sponge filter in your main display tank so it stays cycled, and remove it to go in a smaller tank if you need to quarantine fish or something.

Mattenfilters are basically similar to giant sponge filters, but take the idea to the max, and these are excellent.

But for my larger display tanks, I prefer using hang on the back or canister filters as my main source of filtration since they allow for various different pore sizes of foams, more biological filter media, and the option to add chemical media if necessary, and hang on the back filters tend to oxygenate the water more.

I would use them in a 40 gallon tank to raise discus, and that's about it.

• patty

yeah u just have to rinse them out.

• Jack H

I love them, used them for many years, also used many other types too, air powered wet n dry filters were good, i ued to make my own sponge filters too and used different densities of foam in stacked trickle filters, but, you need to educate yourself about use of foam and nature of filtration, I raised thousands of dwarf cichlids using only foam filters, they used to feed off the surface without any chance of being earen by the filter...

• zeno

I use whatever works with the least problems.

So try different stuff and see which one works

The most efficient and cleans the water best

And has fewer annoying aspects about it.