Do employees who ignore co-workers saying “good morning” know that they’re being rude, or is the ignoring basically how they were raised?

First, please keep in mind she doesn’t just ignore one co-worker in particular, but everyone in his department (their position requires diploma/GED; hers requires college degree). So she’s obviously not protecting herself from a supposed creep/pervert, but is simply a snob. In addition, this has nothing to do with whether or not she’s a morning person & not wanting to deal with repeatedly saying “good morning” to everyone.  She is selective about who is not invisible to her. Moving forward:

Did her parents teach her to only acknowledge those who are “equal” or “above” them & completely snub employees who make less than her?

I don’t understand what goes through her head when she looks at co-worker dead in the eye & refrains from smiling/speaking when told “good morning.” If she avoided eye contact, that’s another story.  But how does she simply look [with an emotionless face and no words] directly at someone who said “good morning”? Is ignoring basically like breathing to her? With a panhandler begging on the subway or street, I can understand. But with someone she sees every day, and may I add, someone she suddenly speaks to 

when she needs something? 🤷‍♂️ 

This is not about a creep/stalker being obsessed with her acknowledging his presence, but rather the fact that his mom taught him to be cordial/polite & treat everyone the same.  So dealing with a female co-worker who ignores him, makes him wonder if his mom has no sense.  Trolls, please stay away.  Thank you very much.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are right to question upbringing.  However, there are countless other reasons as to why a person may refuse to exchange pleasantries with a certain individual: race, social status, religion, prejudice, sexual orientation, mental health, they remind them of someone they dislike/distrust, etc.

Some people feel like there are so many other things beyond their control that having one thing they actually can control no matter how small helps them to hang on to their sanity and/or sense of self worth.  Forcing them to do that one thing just might push them over the edge.  Take a look at all the strife over mandatory face masks, for example.

• 3 months ago

Life is rough all over.

• 3 months ago

It's rude.  I always said "morning" when someone said to me "good morning" or just "morning".  If miss prissy insists on being an anti-social, stuck up b*tch, just ignore  her. 

• martin
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Someone like this probably has been betrayed by friends or believes that people hate him or her. It sounds like a psychiatric problem.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

it might be how they were raised

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.