Strongman asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Am I too heavy to ride on top of a little pony?

My 3 year old niece rides this cute little pony that I think is adorable but she wanted me to ride on top of him, I then worry that this may not be a good idea as I may end up injuring the horse. I am 125 lbs and I think I am I too heavy for the little pony to handle me?

• Ocimom
    6 days ago

If the pony is a Shetland, I would say you are too big.  If the pony is about 13/14 hands, then you should be fine.

Few pony breeds are heavy and can take you on his back.

Pony Horse Breeds is an essential topic for the Horse breeds family. It should also be familiar for the kids that’s why you should have to know the Pony Horse breeds name, structure, quality, use of purpose, temperaments, and other information. It is vital that you know what is typical for the Pony Horse Breeds, so you recognize the abnormalities.

Popular Pony Horse Breeds For Kids

There are different types of Pony Horse Breeds. Some are very lucrative for the children. In my article, I discuss different types of Pony Breeds which you have to select for various purposes. In short, I shall discuss the potential characteristics of these breeds.

1. Australian Pony

The Australian Pony is the popular Pony breeds which should not exceed 14 hands in height; all colors are acceptable. It should have excellent conformation and free of hereditary defects. They have a superb temperament that is of the utmost importance for loving my kids. Australian Pony makes an ideal riding or harness pony.

125lbs is perfectly fine to ride BUT with that being said every rider has their limits. You'd have to put the ponies age, breed, height and condition in fact. We may all wanna hop on every horse and pony we see but the animal should never be in any discomfort due to the rider being too big. I know many riders who beg to ride all these ponies without realizing that they are too big and can do more damage then good just because they wanna go for a spin. 

Source(s): Horse owner/worker for 14 years.

The answer to this depends to a large extent on the pony's breeding and physical build. If the pony is a Shetland, or predominantly of that stock, then he/she can carry up to 300 pounds without a problem. Shetlands were bred to be rugged and able to carry heavy loads- that's why they were used as pit ponies in coal mines for centuries. The same can also be said for a number of other pony breeds, including the Welsh Mountain pony ( or Welsh Cob, as they are sometimes called) as well as the Dartmoor, Exmoor, and Connemara breeds.

And for all you critics out here who say that ponies shouldn't carry adult riders, let me remind you that adults ride ponies all the time. It's COMMON, especially in certain riding disciplines, and I can think of several examples of ponies or pony sized horses that were famous. Just by way of example, take the famous dressage ponies ridden by Olympic team member Lendon Gray. Last Scene and Seldom Seen were both Connemara ponies, and they were both only about 14.2 hands at maturity. But Gray competed on them and won medals on them, nevertheless. The famous eventing pony, Theodore ("Teddy") O'Connor, who won the Rolex 3 Day International Eventing Championship in 2008, was a Connemara/TB cross who never got above 14.3 hands at maturity. He was pony sized, but as his rider, Karen O'Connor put it,"He was all heart." There are other examples of pony sized horses I can point to who are famous.

I also want to point out that polo ponies are called PONIES for a reason. They actually ARE ponies, for the most part. They're usually small TB's or TB crosses which are bred specifically for their height and agility on the field. And polo is a sport for adults as well as kids, so you see riders of all ages participating in it.

• Celena2 months agoReport

That is actually very untrue. Shetlands were bred and raised for heavy pulling. Not riding. That would break their backs. They shouldn't carry anything over 50-70lbs in any circumstance. 

YES. You ARE too heavy. You should be riding a full grown horse. Leave the pony rides for the children.

Do some research and get good resources with .orgs and good backgrounds. Take the weight of the horse and whatever 15-20% of it's body weight is, is the proper amount of weight the rider should be without hurting the animal. Your about my size. You should ride anything smaller than a horse that weights 1000 lbs imo..also factor in height if your tall riding a 14hh pony isn't a good idea

• *****

It depends on the size and build of the pony.

i dont think so, i rode a pony myself when i wasnt a kid

How heavy is he? Horsies/ponies should never bear more than 20% of their weight in rider/tack. If this pony is that small that a THREE YEAR OLD rides it then no - of course you shouldn't be on it.

I think you're a TROLL, though. If this was your pony you would know the answer. if this was someone else's they'd be the ones telling you not to ride it.

i went for rides on a pony when i was an adult so i dont see why you couldnt