How did it happen that another person has my email address?  See below.?

I have had and used my email address since 1995 or 1996 and now I have discovered that a Mary Warren-Hubbard has my same email maryhubbard@yahoo.com.  How did this happen and I want it corrected immediately?

If you did not sign in to your Yahoo email account in 12 months it was considered abandoned, cleared and closed.

That released the username for others to use and someone chose it.

Nothing can be done to fix that.

Very likely this person has a "similar" email address, maybe with their middle initial in it. And they just use their name on another email, so out of habit they just put in their name when signing up for things. I had the same problem logging into F.B. Someone that has the same name as me had a very similar login.... and I would try to log in to their account, because I forgot the middle initial in my name when logging in. There are only so many names, so lots of people have the same name. I've seen people with the same first, middle, and last name.... only difference is date of birth.

• enn

Did you receive a lot of e-mails intended for that other person?

Computer go character by character and "deliver" e-mail to the "inbox" of those exact characters, but computers do not split hairs or distribution. Had you been having trouble with "lost" e-mails, meaning people saying they sent you an e-mail and you never received it?

The best way to solve this problem is to sign up for a new, free e-mail account, and also update with a new password. Then you simply make the changes and move along.

It should not be possible and more likely someone is spoofing your address. They are using your address as their display name, so it looks like it is you. If someone you know is getting such email, have them look at the full email header and they will see it is not you. Can you do anything about it - no.

Then how do you explain that I get billing notices from AT&T, Sears etc which I have ignored for a couple of years.  The reason I found this out is that I was setting my new apple ipad and apple tells me that my email is already being used by Mary Warren-Hubbard and that person is not me.

Your email may have lapsed due to lack of use. Try Yahoo mail help.

• Sharon

You are either hacked or spoofed. This is how to recognize and secure a hacked account: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3516.html

Not possible.