Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 5 months ago

How do I talk a car salesman down? ?

I totaled my Dodge Dart a couple of days ago, and I'm wanting to buy a new (used) one because I loved it. I found a 2016 Dodge Dart limited that I  really like, and they're wanting $13,000 for it (it has 70,500 miles on it). How much can I possibly talk them down, and how do I do it?

Make a counter offer that is much lower.  If eager to move that junker for $10K  or less, they will grab that money.

Be sure to get a mechanic's review of the Dart to see what is wrong with it.  After 70K miles, something is.

Get an idea of what it is worth from Kelly Blue Book website or similar sites that rate car values.

https://www.kbb.com/dodge/dart/2016/limited-sedan-...

tell him to TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, then YOU get up and start walking away ..............

• F

Whatever you do , don’t take you wife with you. They just go “I love it” (esp if red), right in front of the salesman . He knows you’re not going to walk away, end of bargaining.

Car salesman aren't easy to negotiate with anymore. They set the price pretty close to the lowest they're willing to go (or so they say). You just have to give him the price you're willing to pay, anything above that you have to be willing to just walk away. There are plenty of other cars out there.

The easiest way to get them to reduce the price is to show them ads from other dealers with lower prices and ask if they can match the competitors price.

I will assume that the new Dart is loaded.  Navigation,sunroof, wheels, so  $12,000 would be good.  If you somehow get it for about $10,000 you are fantastic at barginning

You probably won't, at least not by very much.  The days of back-and-forth haggling are pretty much over.  It's been that way for a few decades now, in fact.

In the old days, used cars hardly ever had prices displayed on them.  You'd ask the sales rep how much they wanted for a particular vehicle, and they'd say "I don't know, what are you thinking it's worth".  You'd make an offer, he'd say "Oh, I can't even take that offer to my boss", then he'd suggest some sky-high amount, you'd come up a bit, he'd come down a bit, and the process would take all afternoon.  

That procedure changed when women started buying vehicles on their own.  A woman would ask how much they wanted, and if the salesman went into their routine she'd simply leave and go somewhere else.  Women like shopping, but they don't like the haggling game.  And women are now the majority of car buyers, so the market had to adapt.  The #1 rule of the free market has always been give the customer what they want, or your competitor will.

Now, used cars almost always have the asking price clearly displayed, which means the haggling is limited.  It's really hard to bluff once you've shown all your cards.

• Erik

You loved a Dodge Dart???

just tell him you want the car if he'll let you pay less

just tell them you want it but you want to pay less for it

You say "I'll pay $x" and be prepared to walk off the lot if they don't want to sell it to you for that price.