Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

What am I supposed to do? There are no more sales!?

I live off of food stamps I get $194 a month for food. Since the virus hit the grocery stores have no more sales. Canned soda use to be 2 for 9 dollars. Now its 6.99 a 12pack. Olive oil on sale 50 ounces 10 dollars. Now it 20 dollars. Lupton iced tea makes 38 quarts on sale was 5.99 now its 9.99 I can't afford this on food stamps. I don't know what to do. Do any of you shoppers have any advice? 

Don't waste you money on soda for one.

• kswck2

The closures of plants are just hitting the retail market, due to corona. Ground beef near me is $8 per pound.

Necessities is NOT canned SODA, there are cheaper oils than Olive oil. Iced tea is not a necessity. Why did you not include Caviar & Swiss Chocolate covered flying mouse wings? & Beer by the Keg?

It takes awhile to restock the shelves after selling all the old merchandise.  It then takes a while for the new stuff to get old so it is put on sale.

It is mac & cheese (without the cheese) Bread & butter (without the butter.)Just the way it is.  Thankfully water is basically free (from the tap)

• .

No advice bro, its the same over here in dear old Blighty. EVERYTHINGS GONE UP, we're being RIP OFF. 

• Kim R

I know what you mean! You'll have to get creative if you can. Try to find some online coupons to use, go to a Dollar Store if one is in your area, even go to a food bank to get some basics now and then. You might have to try some alternative foods or drinks for a while (tea or flavored water instead of soda, bagged rice instead of Rice A Roni, etc.). I look at it this way: I'll appreciate the stuff I used to buy even more after this! 

Also once your home made tea with lemon juice squeezed in it is cold put it in the fridge so it's ice cold or add ice cubes.

• Gorgia

Sue the hell out of some people

You should shop more efficiently, and for different food. Soda is always an expensive option. So is canned or instant ice tea. 

Tea bags make ice tea too, by simply putting a few of them into a gallon of water in a large jar or container and leaving it SIT for an hour or two (Cold brew method.) You can wean yourself off soda--drink water instead. Not bottled water, TAP water. Soda is terrible for you anyway--it would be to your health benefit to stop drinking it altogether. 

For olive oil, there ARE cheaper brands--you have to compare prices. 

And comparing prices for everything you buy ought to be a habit. There are also cheaper grocers. Look around in your neighborhood for those that offer less expensive food. 

I know this all sounds easy--and maybe it's not easy for you to do this--but saving money on food is not difficult. You simply have to stop buying out of habit, and start looking for the deals elsewhere. 

• Bob

Drink water instead of soda

• Desiree2 months agoReport

You got a thumbs down, but you're right. I made the same suggestion.

1.  Learn to drink water. It’s free. If you want, you can add lime or lemon zest to give it some flavor.

2.  Use corn oil or a cheaper oil. 

3.  Buy tea leaves. You only need a few leaves to make a cup of tea.