Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 weeks ago

Don’t feel like my baby is special ?

Mine and my fiancé’s first child. It’s a boy. His sister already has two sons, 9month old and 2 year old. I can’t help but feel like it isn’t as special and that our ‘limelight’ has been stolen. My fiancé is the eldest child in his family. Although I feel that our child will never be as special as it’s his mothers daughters children. I feel like they come first over her sons grandchildren. What do you think? My fiancé is confused by this logic? 

So you basically are having children to be the star of the show?? That is shallow. You have children because you want to create your own family, not to have others look at you and tell you how special you are. Every child is special. They are a gift. You need to get your head out your a$$ and learn they are not a trophy that you win, they are your legacy. God help your poor child if this is how you see him. He is going to have a very unhappy life.

• L

Since he has a sister.................NO child will be in the 'limelight' - ALL will be.

I agree with your fiancé. Just because your sister has a kid doesn’t steal the “limelight”. Having a kid is not a popularity contest. Just enjoy your kid because you love him.

People should not have children to make themselves feel more important. 

Your child isn't going to suffer because he has older cousins. And neither are you. This isn't logic--it's jealousy. No one "stole" your limelight. There IS no limelight. They had children, you have a child. The grandparents have grandchildren. it's not important which came first, or whose children those kids are. What's important is that you stop focusing on who did what first, and just take care of your own child properly. There's no competition here.

a parent must always feel their kid is the best

Grow up. Quickly

• A

A mother is sometimes closet to her daughter's children because the daughters ask their mother lots of questions, solicit her advice and don't get offended when advice is offered. But that does not mean that your child will be any less loved, first born children or grandchildren are the only ones for a while and do get a lot of undivided attention. Don't be offended or make a big deal out of it. You really don't have the right to demand limelight

Every baby is special!  If he has parents who love him.  YOUR kid is always special! 

My dad had two brothers and a sister.  When my older sister Gail was born, Mom bragged that she had the first baby in the family.  But Aunt Helen, who had my cousin David only a few days later, said she had forced labor, so she could have had David any time, so it didn't matter than Gail was first.

Go forward 25 years or so.  David's younger brother went to Harvard Law School.  David went to the Air Force Academy and THEN to Harvard Law School.  Gail went to a two-year college for six years.  But at the time they were born they were equally special.  Then I was born and I was even more special, 'cos I was a boy!

I forget the point now.  Oh, yes.  If you really do a good job of parenting your boy, if you help him and guide him to make something of himself, then he'll be special.  Meanwhile he's special mostly to you.

You baby will be special to you and your fiance and that's all that counts. You're his parents and you'll be the ones to show him all the love he needs. It doesn't matter whether or not you're right about your mother in law, because in the end, your baby needs his mom and dad to love him above all else.

Dress him up as a unicorn.