Kevin asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

Which is proper (grammar)?

How do you say this: "within the bounds of the law" or "within the boundaries of the law" ?

Which is correct?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favourite answer

Both are correct. Allow me to expand on this.

"Bounds" can be noun or verb and as verb is motion related and even as a noun can mean distances or steps in some way. When used as your example, it means "boundaries" as a noun in its primary meaning as a noun. Since the two are the same communication and grammar correct, both are acceptable.

"Bounds" favors our preference to use fewer letters and spaces in standard communication. Teaching takes a lot of words to be clear.

"Boundaries" favors our preference to avoid ambiguous and be exact and clear. We understand "boundaries" with less thought than "bounds".

So, a speaker normally says "bounds" and listener hears "boundaries" in their mind and listener finds it easier if speaker says "boundaries". "Bounds" puts the extra work on listener and "boundaries" puts the extra work on speaker for the communication.

I hope you understand. I do not know if you are trying to be an advanced learner of English and want all of this detail and explanation.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

How about saying "legally"?

• 6 months ago

First choice is boundaries. Second choice is limits.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.