What makes motorcycles faster than cars?

Is it just because of their weight? Its obvious that cars have bigger engines thus they produce more HP and more Torque.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Motorbikes generally have better acceleration than cars due to the lighter weight. However, cars can gave a higher top speed due to better aerodynamics and the size of engine is not limited by the bike frame. 

Additionally, cars can corner faster due to better grip esp when spoilers and downforce comes into play.

This is esp annoying when bikes overtake on straight bits of road and then get in your way when it gets twisty.

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

OK, so bikes are quicker than cars in some situations and vice versa. Any argument is going to be countered with “what about......?”

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

I have seen guys with big balls who go around every corners faster than cars.  

• 1 month ago

the speedometer

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Then explain SHIPS or Locomotives or Mine trucks (300 Ton+) They go slow.  Your logic is EHHH WRONG!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • adam
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

power to weight ratio makes them quicker than cars . Not top end faster. 

• adam
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

TD guy is lil fag 

• arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

race you around a few fast corners as soon as you want to brake a car has more rubber on the road and more brakes, if you can beat a madman in a v8 over 300k's of tight roads your a GP rider

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Faster is a term used to describe top speed. Quicker is a term used to describe getting to that speed. Your general question doesn't apply to all. Some bikes are quicker than most cars. Some bikes are faster than some cars. Most cars are faster than my bike but my bike is quicker than a few cars

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A car might have a much bigger engine but it does not rev nearly as high. And the higher the revs the higher the horsepower from the available torque. Weight obviously does make a difference.

• I was going to say the same thing. It's all about RPMs as bikes don't require much low-end torque. I've owned and ridden several 125cc bikes and they faster off the line than most cars, at least around here (~1.0L, 3-Cyl). Not sure why you're getting so many downvotes!

• 1 month ago

Yes, it's weight, the same size engine as a small car can go into a bike and on top of that you have less to carry, a 1300 motorcycle is super fast yet a 1300cc car is mediocre.

• ...Show all comments
    • Tim D
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The displacement of the engine tells you very little about the characteristics of that engine.

• 1 month ago

Weight and drag.  Motorcycles tend to have more power to weight and with a good fairing less wind resistance too.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.