What is wrong with my laptop?

My laptop is of hp. It's five years old. One month back, I used to get low memory prompts, but I had plenty memory. Online articles suggested updating. So I did. Since then, I started getting various system and application errors. Due to this, all updates are even not installed. After these errors, the PC restarts. And sometimes I even get blue screen errors.

And I can't uninstall these errors in control panel. Do you think resetting the laptop is better? Because I started noticing these after around 15 days of updates install, so I can't revert back.

Please suggest, because if it needs resetting, I'll approach a professional for it.

reinstall windows 10 or get window 10

• yes reset it will help it

Have you considered switching to Linux? I'm not one of these typical fanboy "Linux is better at everything" morons.  But when it comes to old computers, Linux is great. Just look at Some YouTube videos of Linux Mint, or Manjaro. you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about. 

Stop using Windows XP, or 7 whichever you're still stuck in a time warp with...

because these errors seem to be random, I'd investigate whether there might be a hardware error. This could be in any part of the system, but the most likely culprit (and the easiest to replace) would be the hard disk. The best approach would be to run some diagnostic tools, from a bootable device. Have you created a recovery drive in windows? That would do it, or you could search for "bootable diagnostic tools". Then run disk checking, and memory checking.

Or this would be a good time to call in a professional for help!

• keerok

Low memory is solved by adding more RAM or replacing with higher RAM. If you meant low disk space (storage), that can be solved by cleaning up your hard disk, removing unwanted and unnecessary files and programs or by adding a new hard disk.

If the computer is over five years old, it is probably in need of some "repair work." Over time they build up errors in the registry, sectors of the hard drive begin to go bad, etc.

Have you tried reseating the physical RAM chips in the PC. Over time they can work loose. Dust and dirty can get in and cause them not to have a solid connection. That can cause memory errors. One of the chips loses its connection for a second, and your memory drops, the PC freezes and/or you get a blue screen.

If by a rest you mean a wiping of the hard drive and a reinstall of Windows, that is something that most pros recommend about every two years. It could well resolve many of the issues you are having. But make sure you back up any documents, music, videos, data files etc on something external to the computer before you do it.

It is normal for not all updates to install. Often an update may be for a feature or program you do not have. So it will not install. Or Microsoft may have released a newer version of the update, so the older one will not install. Failed updates is normally not anything to worry about.

Finally, you can have a pro look at the unit. If you have the "big bucks" for them to do it. Often if you ask around you can find a local "geek" who will look at it for a couple bucks and a McDonalds Happy Meal (assuming they are offering a good toy that week.)

Source(s): 25+ years in IT support.

"low memory prompts" have nothing to do with hard drive space.  The message is about RAM, not storage space.  You tell you "have plenty memory".  But that might not be true next time you start your "laptop" of some hp model.  Memory is used up by having programs running, mostly in the background.  The warning is just to tell you that the available RAM space is short, and the system will have to page out to the hard disk storage, which is 1000 times or more slower than RAM.  If next time you run the laptop, you may or may not have the problem of "low memory" because you might have different programs running.

As for hard drive space, that should be 1/4 empty at all times.  You can offload stuff to "the Cloud" or to an external drive or USB flash memory stick, or to DVDs.  Or you could install a bigger hard disk to the laptop.

Spoiling your laptop Windows installation might happen when you try to update with the wrong hardware drivers.  There is nothing wrong with Windows or your hard disk, just the wrong drivers.  You can get the correct ones from HP support for your model laptop and its version of drivers when made.  Few of them need to be updated to newer ones which might cause your problems.

Try anything first before "resetting" a Windows system.  If you do that reset, you would have a mess--the computer would be just like made at the factory six years ago.  Windows updates would be needed, maybe some hardware drivers.  But all the programs you ever installed, all the files like music, photos, documents and downloads would be gone.  Too much mess for so little gain.

You can do a system restore back to a point before all the problems.  Every time a system does and update, a restore point is made.  Some are many weeks old.  Try some of those.

Source(s): Using computers since 1962, building and repairing desktops and a few laptops, college computer classes teacher, electronics manufacturing engineer.

Its 5 years old... Time for a new laptop

• JJ

You could try to do a recovery where it reinstalls Windows but saves your documents.