Is it normal or OK to ask someone their gender if you can’t tell?

So since I work as a cashier, and let’s say a customer comes in and I can’t tell if they are MALE or FEMALE? Would that be OK to go up and ask them if they’re a MAN or a WOMAN?? Or is that very rude to ask?

As a cashier no. If its group of friends just take a guess and if you're wrong let.them tell you. Or ask because either way they could be snowflakes about it or.they might find it funny. People aren't as sensitive as people think. I've asked before and nobody is going to tell me I can't outside of your place of work. If I can't tell I can't tell and don't want to look stupid calling you wrong gender. It's akward to ask someone name when they know yours but longer you wait to ask more akward it's gonna be

Yes it's rude. You'll have to either pick a gender and respond that way, or leave it be. It's none of your business and you don't need to know anyway. If you say "Thank you ma'am" or "thank you sir," and they correct you, then just remember that next time. 

I can't even think of a reason you'd need to know. 

Best answer: ask your manager how to address customers formally if you can't tell gender.  

Aside from that, if you need to say sir or maam to get their attention, quickly decide on their gender based on appearance or other cues (since English has no neutral, formal word like that).  If you goof, they'll let you know.  Then say sorry and thank you. 

Yes it is. I just don't say anything if i cant tell.

No it is not, they could take it the wrong way and report you to the manager.

• car253

NEVER OK TO ASK.

if ur interested in a relationship then ur entitled to ask. What fool dresses in way where people cant even tail what gender they are, Americans are so strange.

I would recommend just saying "hello" instead of hello "sir" or "maam" and only ask if it's necessary or you need to know. 

Normally that would be a rude to ask, but if you are working in a porn shop as a cashier then that should be fine. Normally cashiers don't make this type of inquiry.

I think you would be able to point the customer in the right direction if you know which gender they are. D**ks on that side, and P***ies on that side over there.

Well frankly I think porn shops are small, so once a customer goes in then he, or she can probably see most of the items that are, for sale. I think that if a porn shop customer starts a conversation with a cashier then maybe the cashier can ask about the gender if it's not evident.

• Helen

Definitely not ok.