Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

How would you recommend that I do a with fish aquarium cycle?

try a fishless cycle as seen on video

• kswck2

noselessman is the quintessential expert in this group. Listen to him. 

I did cycles with Seachem prime and stability. I don't know if I got lucky or if it always works this well but ammonia and nitrites never went above .25 with a 25% water change once a week. The prime protected the fish from the small amount of ammonia and nitrites. A water testing kit is essential. You need to test the water daily to check the ammonia and nitrite levels. 

If this can be avoided I wouldn't do a fish in cycle. People who know more than I recommend against it so I would follow that advice if possible. I did it because the guy at the fish store assured be it would be fine (and for me it was) but even still I know things can go wrong and I don't think I will be doing this again. 

I'm not going to lecture you. A lot of people get fish and don't know the tank has to cycle. You should get some seachem prime, a test kit (API and Tetra tests are good) and get the Marineland ammonia neutralizing crystals for you filter. Test water daily. If nitrite spikes do a 50% water change and prime the tank. 

Fish in cycle is not my style. I agree with Nancy if you MUST do it for whatever reason, then make sure you are changing the water, feeding lightly, and have something like Prime to protect in the event that the cycle crashed. I do not agree with Nancy's advice to keep the PH and water temps high. That is a nitrite bomb waiting to go off. 

Are you saying that you want help with a fish in cycle?

there are so many varients.  i think you want to do 35-45% water changes 3 times a week,

For more info please post this question in fishlore.com

If you have to ask, then I don't think you have the experience to do a fish in tank cycle. Put some noninvasive snails in and let the tank run for at least 6 weeks. 

I have done with fish in the tank cycles before. I kept the water temps high and the PH around 8.2 to help the bacteria grow faster. 25% water changes 3 times a week and followed up every day with Seachem stability (beneficial bacteria supplement) and every other day with Seachem Prime ( to protect against a cycle crash) 

I would empty all that water out of the aquarium.  That will make the aquarium cycle easier to pedal!