Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

How can I stop my ferret from touching things?

My ferret is allowed to run around my room as long as she is supervised. Now obviously the room is ferret proofed and there is nothing that she can get that would hurt her. The problem is that I keep my medications on my bedside table, now they are all in childproof bottles so she couldn’t actually eat them or anything but she likes to throw them around and then she hides them. I can’t put them somewhere else or I will forget to take them and I have tried making it harder for her to get on the table but she always finds a way. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop her from touching them?

• Ocimom

There is no way.  You need to put them in a drawer in your room or in the bathroom and put a reminder to yourself about taking the medications.  Ferrets have sharp teeth - she could bite through the plastic.

Anything you can, put on high shelves. Tuck chargers and cords away. If it's scratching/chewing furniture, there's a spray you can buy that's harmless and has a taste that will stop them.  Enrich her with toys.

Are you SERIOUS??? Why the Hell would you leave medications sitting out with a pet??? Especially a smaller pet like a ferret that would QUICKLY be killed with it. Put it in your medicine cabinet. WTF????

You only have ONE ferret? Ferrets are MISERABLE living alone. What are you feeding it? What sort of cage is it in?

• Eliza2 months agoReport

Secondly, she gets at least 4 hours out of her 4 ft by 7ft cage every day, plus time in a large outdoor cage. She gets the highest quality food. And she has dog friends that she loves playing with. Her last vet appointment she checked out perfectly and happy. I know how to take care of my pets. 

• patty

buy a small safe with a lock and key to put the medication in

• *****

You can put them into a drawer or cabinet and instead put an object that is safe for your ferret there as a reminder to take your pills.  Ferrets are quite dexterous, and eventually he'll figure out how to get into today bottles. Child proof doesn't mean ferret proof.

She's going to keep hiding it and trying to open it, and eventually she might succeed. Instead of keeping your meds on the table, maybe try keeping a sticky note or some other scrap of paper reminding you either to take your meds, or to put them back when your ferret's away.

Or if you check your phone often, there are apps you can get to send yourself notifications, to remind yourself to take your meds. 

But if you absolutely cannot remember to take them unless they are on your bedside table, there are sprays you can buy that are supposedly repellent to ferrets. Mostly they're used to discourage the ferret from biting (toes & fingers), but maybe they would work for your medication case and table as well? I've never used those, so I can't personally attest to how well they work, but I'm sure you can find reviews online. 

But there really isn't any way to train your ferret not to go somewhere. They are relentlessly curious, and, in my experience, as soon as something is off-limits, that's the only place they want to go. But still, good luck in keeping your meds away from your ferret!

I'm going to honest kid. If you can't remember to take your meds. You really shouldn't have a pet.

• Eliza2 months agoReport

I
       sometimes forget to take them because I have to wake up and take them at 3am then go back to sleep to avoid getting violently sick. I have 4 pets who are all in perfect health, and I’m 16 and I pay for all their supplies and care. Maybe next time don’t be rude without knowing the whole story 

Put them away when she is out and then take them back out when she gets put back in her cage. 

If they absolutely must be on the table I would get a storage tub with a locking lid and put them in that. 

This is the reason God created dresser drawers.

Put them in your drawer or in a little locked trinket box.  Otherwise, in time, she WILL get those bottles open.  It's her specialty.  The specialty of the species, like monkeys.  Almost magical.