G asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

A woman keeps on wanting to buy my horse even though I made it very clear she's not for sale.?

I have a dutch warmblood mare who I love to bits she is a great horse and gentle as a lamb. In exchange for a discount on board I let the stable owner and riding instructor use her for lessons.This young girl who is a student at the barn rode her twice and told her Mom she wants her. She doesn't have her own horse. Her Mom came forward about two weeks ago offering to buy for $1,500 I told her no.She keeps trying to buy her and tries contacting me daily. I have made it clear multiple times she is not for sale. When I brought this up with the stable owner/riding instructor she informed the girl and mother she was moving her to a different lesson horse as soon as the business returned to normal. I thought that'd be the end of it but she still is trying to buy her raising her offering price to $2,000 but I still told her no. I am thinking of moving my horse to a different stable where a couple of my friends board their horses. Is this too drastic?

• Snezzy

Too drastic. There are other ways. Here's mine.

We just happen to own the Most Totally Handsome Grey Pony on Earth. When I have him out in public people try to buy him. Well, he happens to be a Very Good pony, perfect temperament to have him with children.

More than a few times I get offers for him. One guy said, "I'm buying that pony. How much?"

Well, he's not for sale.

So I told the guy $40,000.

He said, "Ain't no <blinkin'> pony worth no $40,000." Only he said some other word, not blinkin'.

I said, "Look, if I sell him, I have to quit my day job and go on the road for three months trying to find his replacement. $40,000."

He walked away.

You can say $40,000. When she objects, you can say, "I might just have to raise his price again." Then the next time she asks, say $80,000.

maybe she is talking about your other horse 

If this woman calls you even one more time, tell her that your next phone call will be to the police, to have her charged with harassment. Calmly state that the horse is NOT for sale and that you have no intention of selling her in the future, and then hang up the phone. And if she calls again after that, don't answer. Make note of the number, and then call the police and report her for harassment.

Moving your horse is a drastic step that should be a last resort. This isn't the barn owner's issue, it's YOUR issue, and you need to deal with it. And you need to come up with some other way to earn your board discount besides allowing your horse to be used as a lesson horse. Maybe you could work part time in the barn in exchange for reduced board. Whatever you decide on, the practice of allowing your horse to be used in lessons needs to STOP, and STOP PERMANENTLY. That's what started this whole situation, after all. Had you not permitted your horse to be ridden by anyone else, none of this ever would have happened.

You can tell her the horse is not for sale and not up for discussion and if she continues to contact you about it, you will be contacting your lawyer to press charges for harrassment...

Or give her some ridiculous price range...  Like $50k

As far as moving the horse...  Is your horse currently happy and well adjusted where he is or do you think hed be happier at the other stable anyways?   If you think hed be happier at the other stable, then you have multuple good reasons to move him.

Yes that is too drastic until you've clearly communicated the problem and given the stable owner a chance to resolve it.

Grow a pair and learn how to say NO like you mean it.   Point-blank tell the mother that the horse is not for sale and that if she asks you again, you'll consider it harassment.

Tell the owner of the stable that the woman is being a pest and you are to the point that you are considering switching stables.   If they want you to stay, they need to keep this girl away from your horse and they need to tell the mother to back off. 

If none of that works, THEN you can think about going elsewhere.

Is your horse microchipped?   Are there security cameras at the barn?  Crazy people occasionally steal animals. 

She's harrassing you. Call the police, or a lawyer and force her to leave you alone. You should not have to move because of someone's rude behavior. 

I give you permission to be rude right back--i.e., "What part of NO is it that you don't understand?  Leave me alone or I'll prosecute for harrassment" usually works pretty well. 

• cc

Tell her 20 grand.

• patty

get her number blocked on your phone

• patty

the child must be spoilt

Say no, firmly, then inform her that because she refused to accept your first refusal your horse is no longer available for lessons either.

Pay the extra boarding fees for a while.

• Eva

Don't leave the place you like just because this woman is being dense.

• ?

Sounds like the stable owner is alright. Do you just tell her no briefly.

You need to write her a long letter really insulting things she problary holds sacred. The way she raises her child, the way she thinks she's entitled to things that dont belong to her, that she has no class or manners, why didn't she ever become a prostitute if ahe beieves everybody has a price etc. Be careful that you make no threats though.